'96 Lower Ball Joint Replacement - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2009, 04:25   #1 (permalink)

'96 Lower Ball Joint Replacement

I did a search for this before I posted and found nothing. Anyway my wife was backing out of the driveway, '96 Mustang Cobra, and as I watch her drive off I hear a pop and crash like noise as her drive side ball joint slips out. I give her the keys to my car and limp her car into the garage, wasnt easy by the way.

I had to take off the fender/splash guard to fix it a lil bit but it looks ok now. I've got a shit ton of tools so I found my matco universal ball joint press, removed the hub, then pressed out old one and pressed on new MOOG one. Normally when something like this happens I replace corresponding part on the other side. I checked it out and it seems fine but since I had the other joint anyway I elected to replace it. I dont know what motivated me because in my head I was thinking "This one probably wont come off right" and what do you know it hasnt.

I've been a driveway mechanic for about 4 years now lol, mostly on my cars 2005 Altima SE-R, 1993 300ZX-TT, 2001 Ford Lightning, but this is my first ball joint experience. I have the ball joint fork/removal tool but I cant seem to pop it out. I've hit it as far in as it can go and pounded on it many many times to no avail. I can see and feel that the joint is at its limit but it doesnt seem to want to give up. My forks teeth done seem to seperate much and everytime I hit the stupid thing because the joint is so loose it flies out now. Anyone have any tips or ideas before i spend another 2 hours wailing and swearing at the stupid thing?
Code-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2009, 04:37   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: '96 Lower Ball Joint Replacement

If you can get it in there, try using a pitman arm puller. Works great on a Taurus.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 04:42   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

After looking at a diagram, it doesn't look like a pitman arm puller would work.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 09:19   #4 (permalink)

Im gonna go to one of my local auto shops and rent another ball joint splitter, hit mine on there and hit the other one on there and see if that will pry it loose. But if anyone else has any ideas i will be willing to hear them!
Code-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes