Ford Forums banner

'96 Lower Ball Joint Replacement

9K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Code-Red 
#1 ·
I did a search for this before I posted and found nothing. Anyway my wife was backing out of the driveway, '96 Mustang Cobra, and as I watch her drive off I hear a pop and crash like noise as her drive side ball joint slips out. I give her the keys to my car and limp her car into the garage, wasnt easy by the way.

I had to take off the fender/splash guard to fix it a lil bit but it looks ok now. I've got a shit ton of tools so I found my matco universal ball joint press, removed the hub, then pressed out old one and pressed on new MOOG one. Normally when something like this happens I replace corresponding part on the other side. I checked it out and it seems fine but since I had the other joint anyway I elected to replace it. I dont know what motivated me because in my head I was thinking "This one probably wont come off right" and what do you know it hasnt.

I've been a driveway mechanic for about 4 years now lol, mostly on my cars 2005 Altima SE-R, 1993 300ZX-TT, 2001 Ford Lightning, but this is my first ball joint experience. I have the ball joint fork/removal tool but I cant seem to pop it out. I've hit it as far in as it can go and pounded on it many many times to no avail. I can see and feel that the joint is at its limit but it doesnt seem to want to give up. My forks teeth done seem to seperate much and everytime I hit the stupid thing because the joint is so loose it flies out now. Anyone have any tips or ideas before i spend another 2 hours wailing and swearing at the stupid thing?

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.