'98 Expedition fron left wheel issues - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2003, 07:33   #1 (permalink)
Lain

confused '98 Expedition front left wheel issues

The front left wheel of my 1998 Expedition is producing an extreme amount of brake dust, and when the brake is applied, there is a groaning noise and associated pull off the steering wheel to the left. The rotor appears fine as does the brake pad. I've already had to replace the rotor on this wheel once...so this appears to be a recurring problem with my vehicle. Anyone have any thoughts on the cause/remedy? Thanks much.

Last edited by Lain; 06-23-2003 at 11:07.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2003, 11:12   #2 (permalink)

Re: '98 Expedition fron left wheel issues

Theres probably nothing wrong with the left side, as it sounds like its doing all the work, and pulling to the left would indicate that. Which means theres a good chance something is wrong with the right side brake. Is the RH caliper clamping properly? Jack the front up and get someone to stand on the brake pedal, then try and spin the right wheel.
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline

Last edited by Martin; 06-23-2003 at 11:15.
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 12:05   #3 (permalink)
Lain

Will try that this evening and let you know what I discover... Thanks for the note partner.
Old 06-23-2003, 17:45   #4 (permalink)
Still Dazed and Confused

The missus has an AUDI 80 and I had similar problems when the auto changes gear, or when I'm braking, the steering Bumps to the left then back again.
Annoyed the shit out of me for ages till I jacked the left wheel up and noticed that I could moved the wheel left to right about 3inches.
worked out that through the reciepts,that the only thing the guy changed himself,instead of the mechanics was the Lower arm bush. With the wheel jacked up I could move the bolt freely.
Tightned it up and haven't had a problem since.

If there's commotion coming from the passenger seat, and nothing but earth going round and round outside the windows,.......then everything is not as it seems!

The only time you have too much fuel, is when you're on fire!
rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 18:22   #5 (permalink)
Lain

Okay, the brake seems to work quite well on the right front tire as well as the left when either side is elevated. I've tried to get some play in the left wheel but all seems pretty well locked into place. Any other thoughts...this noise is driving me crazy.
Old 06-23-2003, 18:37   #6 (permalink)
Still Dazed and Confused

Trying to rack my mind for info.

Is calliper bolts tightened enough?
Is there scoring on disks?
Are pads glazed?
What's the tyres wear like? Is there uneven wear on tread pattern?

If there's commotion coming from the passenger seat, and nothing but earth going round and round outside the windows,.......then everything is not as it seems!

Old 06-23-2003, 19:14   #7 (permalink)
Lain

There is some very mild scoring on the left rotor. The caliper bolts are torqued down well. Not certain I'd know a "glazed" pad if I saw it in a line up...can you provide some assist on that one? Wear pattern on both tires is normal. Appreciate your help here.
Old 06-23-2003, 19:37   #8 (permalink)
Still Dazed and Confused

If the pads are shiny and reflective, they're glazed.
Use a file or sandpaper or acetone to take shine off.

Also when driving, if you don't get a vibration through the steering wheel, this means you don't have warped discs. This leads on to my next tip (and by the way you didn't hear it from me), if the discs are also shiny and reflective, but not warped, Sand the discs with some sort of sanding-type-machine to roughen them up.

This is a cheap an effective way of getting rid of brake squeal. You can also put a groove in the pad to stop squealing as well, but try these other tips first.

Old 06-23-2003, 19:54   #9 (permalink)
97 F-150 XL 4x4

when you jacked up the front end did you spin both wheels to see if the left side was draggin and stopped much sooner than the right side.
i have seen the brakes hang up on one side and not the other before.
this is usually from dirt or rust on channels where the pads slide.
maybe you could pull the pads and wire brush the channel out and place a little anti seize or something similar on it to ensure the pads are releasing when you release the brakes.
351w is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes