ABS Danger? Advice required - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2004, 06:46   #1 (permalink)

ABS Danger? Advice required

I have a 97 Econoline E-150. The ABS light comes on intermittently - sometimes not for a day or two.

Last night, while stopping at a stop sign, the car lurched forward a few feet, as if the brakes had failed or faded, then the ABS light came on.

Brakes work good whether light is on or not, but it is worrying. Both rotors were recently replaced. Could something have been damaged or incorrectly assembled?

Any ideas?

Possibly need bleeding? Or is total brake failure imminent?

Thanks
yosesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2004, 00:29   #2 (permalink)
i pity tha fool

Re: ABS Danger? Advice required

e series abs equpped fords can have that issue, i dont know how to fix it, but i think it's caused by a faulty sensor. prob damaged somehow in the replacing of the discs(which have the tone wheel on the inside, which the sensor reads off.

i'm gonna try unpluging the sensors and seeing ifthat disables the abs all together. better than having an uncontrollable car for 3 metres at a stop sign.

Previous ride: EBII V8 Manual Ghia spring roll.
Current ride: 1970 ZC 351 Fairlane Custom.. (estimated 350ftlb @ 2000rpm.. max torque 420ftlb at 4500rpm.. with standard exhaust manifold!)
jmartion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 23:46   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

with brake troubles... don't stuff around .. do something about it immediately. If they do fail it will always be at the worst possible time.
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 17:52   #4 (permalink)

I have a Tarago with ABS and have found when I approach a particular set of traffic lights the van "lurchs" forward, there is a rough patch in the road before the lights, I am told the lurching is the ABS relieving the braking because it thinks it has lost traction due to the bumpy road. As soon as I pass the bumps the brakes grab again. Your light coming on sounds a worry though, best to get it checked.
ZJ351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 04:16   #5 (permalink)
Stoked Ford Owner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJ351
I have a Tarago with ABS and have found when I approach a particular set of traffic lights the van "lurchs" forward, there is a rough patch in the road before the lights, I am told the lurching is the ABS relieving the braking because it thinks it has lost traction due to the bumpy road. As soon as I pass the bumps the brakes grab again. Your light coming on sounds a worry though, best to get it checked.
This sounds a little strange, because your ABS sensors measure wheel speed, not vibration or anything like that. For the ABS computer to think you have lost traction on one of the wheels, its speed would have to be faster than the opposite wheel. Something that a dodgy road surface should not cause...
Old 01-27-2004, 16:56   #6 (permalink)
i pity tha fool

i think its faulty wiring on/to the sensors, and the bumps trigger the faults.

my abs seems to fault at the same intersections all the time. theres one right hand turn where 4 out of five times it always falses a brake lockup and after taking the corner, the abs light comes on.

Previous ride: EBII V8 Manual Ghia spring roll.
Current ride: 1970 ZC 351 Fairlane Custom.. (estimated 350ftlb @ 2000rpm.. max torque 420ftlb at 4500rpm.. with standard exhaust manifold!)
jmartion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes