ABS Issues - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2004, 06:28   #1 (permalink)

ABS Issues

My 96 EF II XR6 has just developed a problem with the ABS. The light has come on on the dash. It comes on as soon as the ignition is turned on and stays on. It is supposed to extinguish after 8 sec. I have retrieved the error code by shorting appropriate pins and it reports code 12 - No faults. It intermittantly reports a code 63 - Power problems to modulator. I remove the shorting link during code readout to clear it, but the light remains.

My question is, where is the relay that supplies the power to the modulator motor? As I suspect an intermittant relay, as recently I have had issues with the relays being infested with ants. There is a bank of relays in front of the air-box but they are labelled 1,2,3,4. What are they all for?
Matley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2004, 18:44   #2 (permalink)
5 Litres of Fun

Re: ABS Issues

Firstly, welcome to the forums.

It looks like the power relay for the ABS is built into the ABS module according to the wiring diag. I'll attach the diagram for you to look at.

Darin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ef_abs.jpg (70.2 KB, 136 views)
Old 12-31-2004, 19:55   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Darin, The circuit will help greatly, I will go over all the connectors, and clean the wheel sensors just to be certain.
Old 01-01-2005, 05:34   #4 (permalink)

Thanks to the circuit provided by Darin, I checked all the cabling and connectors. I then removed the modulator from the car and pulled the relay box apart. Inside is 2 large (50amp) relays. I found that one of them had a short circuit protection diode across the coil. Not being able to pull the assembly apart anymore, I prised the dodgy relay out, as they are spot welded in place. I then substituted another relay in its place by soldering short lengths of high current wire from the original connection points to the new relay. I reassembled the whole lot, put it back in the car, and now she work beaut. No warning lights, and fully functional ABS. Its sad to think that the individual parts can be replaced on these ABS modulators, however Ford will only sell you a whole new assembly at a premium price!!!!
Old 01-01-2005, 07:10   #5 (permalink)
5 Litres of Fun

Excellent, glad to see you had a good result without having to spend big dollars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes