ABS Light and loud ticking sound - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2003, 20:42   #1 (permalink)

ABS Light and loud ticking sound

Hey

A while ago the ABS light come on in me ED. Also when it comes on u can hear a loud tickin (wit window open) from the frnt right wheel. But sometimes the light never comes on and there is no ticking sound.

Any ideas on what this could be? I have taken the wheel off and checked all the lil magnets on the disc. None seem to be loose and i took the sensor out n gave it a clean and didn't make a difference.

Also how do i check the circuit with the under dash connector??? What do i connect to what lol.

Thanks
Matt
Matt_971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2003, 22:12   #2 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Re: ABS Light and loud ticking sound

Just had a thought there should be a relay I guess under the bonnet (i think under the radiator reserve tank) for the ABS, maybe it needs replacing, and if it was not latching properly and going on and off, would sound like a tick and would sound like the front right wheel as well, and should cause the ABS light to come on as well.

Dellboy999

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 04:24   #3 (permalink)

hey

Nah it isn't a relay it is a constant ticking sound as if there is a stone stuck in the tyre

thanks anyway was worth a try.

Cya Matt
Old 12-01-2003, 18:21   #4 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Does the sound get faster with speed, or just a constant tick regardless of speed.

Dellboy999

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 19:42   #5 (permalink)

It goes faster wit speed. That is why i checked the magnets behind the lil abs disc. they all seemed glued on still.

Really gives ya the shits cause it is very loud. ya can hear it doin like 70kmh clearly

thanks
Matt
Old 12-02-2003, 06:45   #6 (permalink)
The Bun

sounds like its done a bearing and is leaning on the abs sensor to me
Old 12-03-2003, 15:49   #7 (permalink)

hey BunD,

Nah it not a wheel bearing, I checked them when I had the wheel off to check the sensor and the magnets.

And there wasn't any damage to the sensor as if it was rubbing on the little ABS disc thing (whatever they r called).

It has me beat. I am thinkin of gettin DBA slotted n Xdriled rotors soon neways so hope that will fix it. Anyone else have ne ideas

Also how could i TOTALLY deactivate the ABS I hate it.
I can drive and brake heaps better witht the abs not working. I want to put a switch in so i can turn it back on in the wet. That is the only time i have found it any good.

Thanks
Matt
Old 12-07-2003, 01:40   #8 (permalink)
no tire smoke no fun!

I think it would be unwise to switch it off mate, in my EF the ABS saved my life a few times as well as very expensie panel beater bills. And most of the close moment's weren't in the wet! It could be my wild driving style but I heavily rely on the ABS to save me from myself. I an actually steer with the brake pedal mashed to the firewall around corners and i better shut up ... but I'd advise you to keep your ABS on :)

There is a war inside my head, if I take a day off I'll die!

This cat, is cat, a cat, good cat, way cat, to cat, keep cat, a cat, idiot cat, busy cat, for cat, 20 cat, seconds cat! Now read it all without the word cat!
zbenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 21:25   #9 (permalink)

hey zbenga,

Yeah some ppl do drive better wit ABS but i reckon i drive better witout it. I done a advanced driving course and they could turn the abs on n off and i actually done better than wit it on. Dunno why but yeah.

Also I reckon the ABS in your EF would be better designed than in my ED. In my car it lets go for like 1 sec n i hate it,

Neways thanks for ya opinion

Cya Matt
Old 12-08-2003, 23:01   #10 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_971
hey zbenga,

Yeah some ppl do drive better wit ABS but i reckon i drive better witout it. I done a advanced driving course and they could turn the abs on n off and i actually done better than wit it on. Dunno why but yeah.

Also I reckon the ABS in your EF would be better designed than in my ED. In my car it lets go for like 1 sec n i hate it,

Neways thanks for ya opinion

Cya Matt
If you want to disable it just unplug one or more of the sensors. OR put a switch inline with the fuse.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes