advice on lowering blocks... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2005, 01:39   #1 (permalink)
sideways in a six

advice on lowering blocks...

OK my XD has been lowered i think 1 1/2 inches already, but there's still a good few inches between the wheel and arches, especially with an empty tank. The guy used lowering blocks on the rear, with overly long U-bolts which needed to be cut for rego. Problem is my shockers are getting a bit old, letting the thing bounce a few times before stopping completely.

I want my car to be lower and stiffer, and APPARENTLY lowering blocks are not a good idea (don't know why though) so should I replace the whole suspension front and back, or just change the shocks and front springs, and fit different blocks?

And if anyone can fill me in on why people reckon lowering blocks aren't so good it'd be great.
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2005, 03:53   #2 (permalink)

Re: advice on lowering blocks...

i could of sworn they were illigal in NSW. the best way to work out how to lower it to what you you want is first measure all 4 corners of the car from the bottom of rim to edge of the guard .not the ground to the edge and write down the figures while on flat ground im talking. now lower the front say it went 600ml to 560ml guard gap its come down 40ml ok. but make sure you move the car backwards and forwards before measuring. now for the rear say you have a gap of say 600ml throw the lowering blocks away away if they were 40ml or 1 1/2" now you would in reality have a guard gap of 640ml so you to get the rear leaf springs reset with an extra leaf. i do reccommend this. and now you tell the springworkers you want it lowered 70ml to the guard mark l/h and r/h spring also if the car has a lean to say the r/h it was down say 15 ml rear ask the respringer which spring to put into which side after all this is done you should have a car sitting at 560ml sitting at the front guard gap and 570ml in the rear (approx) - hope this helps.
venomXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 06:21   #3 (permalink)

Lowering blocks on leaf springs are no problem, the spring still works through its progression (the more load the stiffer it gets, basic springs 101), but on coil springs you need to get a different spring for the change in height, otherwise the spring will not work smoothly through the load change, and you shockies will be the first casualty (the will be working harder at the wrong time), then the bushes in your lower control arm (as the change in leverage, plus the shockies failing prematurely will mean more movement in the car and the lower control arm bushes. Talk to a spring works or susepension shop about the height you want to set the car to before spending many dollars.
Teeldama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 15:32   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomXR6
i could of sworn they were illigal in NSW. the best way to work out how to lower it to what you you want is first measure all 4 corners of the car from the bottom of rim to edge of the guard .not the ground to the edge and write down the figures while on flat ground im talking. now lower the front say it went 600ml to 560ml guard gap its come down 40ml ok. but make sure you move the car backwards and forwards before measuring. now for the rear say you have a gap of say 600ml throw the lowering blocks away away if they were 40ml or 1 1/2" now you would in reality have a guard gap of 640ml so you to get the rear leaf springs reset with an extra leaf. i do reccommend this. and now you tell the springworkers you want it lowered 70ml to the guard mark l/h and r/h spring also if the car has a lean to say the r/h it was down say 15 ml rear ask the respringer which spring to put into which side after all this is done you should have a car sitting at 560ml sitting at the front guard gap and 570ml in the rear (approx) - hope this helps.
Why not drop it a litre?
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 00:05   #5 (permalink)
sideways in a six

thanks guys, looks like i'll talk to the suspension place about reset rear leafs, and some new shockers and springs after i do some measuring...
Old 04-07-2005, 00:24   #6 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

The disadvantage of lowering blocks is the axle centre is further from the springs, which increases flex of the spring (rotation not up & down movement) which results in axle tramp etc.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 18:14   #7 (permalink)

TEELDAMA. YOUR A TOSSER xds run leaf springs so why reply to posts when you have not a clue what you what your talking about ???????
venomXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 20:15   #8 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
Why not drop it a litre?
302xm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes