Anyone else hate the new BA steering wheels? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2003, 01:56   #1 (permalink)

Anyone else hate the new BA steering wheels?

None of the BA steering wheels I've tried so far (standard XR, Optional Sports AND Momo) come anywhere near the old Momo I have on my AUII XR8. For me, the new wheels' spokes are set too high and it's awkward to place the thumb around the spoke. Any other sporting drivers out there feel short-changed? The new FPV wheel on the GT looks better, but don't XRs and GTs deserve a proper 3-spoke design?

Also, does anyone out there know any legal remifications involved in fitting an aftermarket wheel and disconnecting the Airbag?
zetecr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2003, 02:14   #2 (permalink)
Tony Montana - Scarface

I think the steering wheels are pretty good actually. Got the grippy stuff. Comfortable to hold. But i can't say that I have driven an AUII XR8 to compare it to. As for afermarket, not sure exactly whats out there.

As for legal ramifications, I wouldn't concern myself too much about it. It's more the safety ramifications that I would concern myself about. You may lose your warranty if you do.

I suppose it never hurts to ask
Old 02-03-2003, 03:30   #3 (permalink)
Dual Exhaust Warrior™

biggrin

I don't mind them actually... I find the feel of the hand brake is very.. um ... cheap though

BTW DON'T DISCONNECT THE AIRBAG, IT'S THERE FOR A REASON!!!
Old 02-03-2003, 03:34   #4 (permalink)
goooone

The only airbag steering wheels I've ever liked is the little 3spoke Nardi ones Mazda use but I don't think the BA is too bad certainly not as bad as the Holdens
Mr Jucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 04:20   #5 (permalink)
HSV Hater!

I first thought the steering wheel looked a bit weird

but after seeing one and having a good "feel" :) i found it to be much nicer looking than the pictures show it and had a good grip.

But i guess if you dont like it im sure you could put on another wheel if you must.

im sure nothing as small as a person not liking the wheel will stop them from buying an awesome BA :)

p.s Maybe worth giving ford a call or seeing a dealer about disconnecting the airbag when moding the wheel :)
Old 02-03-2003, 05:09   #6 (permalink)
JEM
Future XR Owner

I actually quite like the BA steering wheel. It's chunkier feel is great and it looks good, especially the FPV ones with the brushed metal accents.
JEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 05:19   #7 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Nah I love the BA steering wheels. At first I didn't like them, well I thought the horn pad looked to big but seeing a sports wheel and MOMO wheels they feel great and the design has grown on me.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 13:11   #8 (permalink)
Just give me an excuse...

i love the wheel its great its comfortable, suits the driving position perfectly!
Old 02-03-2003, 14:34   #9 (permalink)
gone

I read this topic, and thought, Oh Shit another pointless thread, but I was wrong..

Spoke to a couple of insurance people this morning, disconect the air bag... NO INSURANCE...

Now if your prepared to spend at least a grand on a new steering wheel, ring up a momo reseller and have a chat to them, you can have a top notch momo steering wheel fitted which has provisions for air bags to be fitted, but remeber the cost of air bag replacement every 3 years can be very expensive!
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 17:00   #10 (permalink)
Ford Member

When i first sat in a BA i really didn't like the driving position (found it a little high) and I also found the steering wheel a bit fat and small.

With time tho ive grown to love it. It has a nice meaty feel, and the smaller diameter makes it feel far more sporty. And after spending longer in the drivers seat, the seating position is also very good.
He|mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes