AU 1 with ABS - brakes locking up - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2003, 17:54   #1 (permalink)

AU 1 with ABS - brakes locking up

I hit a young roo yesterday which wasn't very nice. Can't remember the speed but when I hit the brakes the wheels locked up. I was surprised because I thought ABS was meant to keep the wheels turning. The same thing happened to the wife in this car the other day, but she luckily missed the roo.

The car is a AU I forte with 34000km on the clock and standard Goodyear eagle GA tyres which are most likely original, and seem to have reasonable tread (maybe 50%).

Should it be looked at by a mechanic? It still has a bit of warranty.

Also there is a soft sqealing noise at highway speeds which sounds like the brakes dragging and disappears momentarily when the brake pedal is tapped.

Opinions would be appreciated.

BTW, The poor roo was following its mother, and I took it to the vet who probably put it down. I guess another bushfire victim.
muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2003, 18:07   #2 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

I had a maxima that did this. Brakes locke up every time, but abs light didnt come on. turned out the light only come on if there was something minor wrong - in this case the right rear whel sensor was faulty. The guys told me if the light came on it ment major $$$
Old 01-22-2003, 06:03   #3 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

Are you sure your car has ABS. My parents have an AU2 Forte, and it doesn't have ABS. ABS was not standard on the base model AU1 or AU2 Forte. So, unless you optioned it with ABS (if you bought it new), or the original owner did (if you bought it pre-loved), then it won't have ABS.

As for the brake squeal - do a search on this forum and you should finds heaps of info. Basically, the end result is that Ford will charge you to fix the squeal, and it will return in a few weeks. Something to do with the self adjusting handbrake, from memory.

My AU1 XR6 used to have the squeal quite often, but my AU2 Forte only gets it every now and then. I got rid of the XR squeal by changing pads and totally cleaning the brakes while I was doing it. I'm expecting the squeal back any week now!

AU1 XR8 Auto 147.9 rwkw (approx 215 fwkw)

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto
17s, Pacemakers, 3" Intake & Pod filter (The Family Hack)

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)
JC-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 06:10   #4 (permalink)

If it has ABS the ABS light will come up when you turn the key on for a few seconds, it shouldnt lock up, it should sorta shutta a bit, well thats what mine does, you can feel the ABS lock, unlock, lock, unlock.

Also with an ABS fitted car you should only spongue the brake pedal and not push it to the floor in the case of an emergency.

Go out some place where no one is, get up 100 then hit the brakes to the floor. Then do it again with only just sponging the brake pedal, you will notice that the car pulls up much better.

Thats my 2 cents.
BIGBADAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 06:24   #5 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

Quote:
Originally posted by BIGBADAU
Also with an ABS fitted car you should only spongue the brake pedal and not push it to the floor in the case of an emergency.
I'm not sure that this is right. This may work effectively for pulling up in a straight line, but ABS is not necessarily designed to shorten braking distance - ie it is not the idiot's answer to late braking (and no, I am not calling anyone in this thread an idiot).

ABS is designed to help you steer the car out of trouble under heavy braking. Heavy braking implies that you have your foot firmly on the brake pedal. By sponging the brakes, you are effectively turning the ABS on and off - if you are trying to steer out of trouble, this may not be a great help! Especially if you are trying to slow down in a hurry at the same time.

My 2c!

AU1 XR8 Auto 147.9 rwkw (approx 215 fwkw)

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto
17s, Pacemakers, 3" Intake & Pod filter (The Family Hack)

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)
JC-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 07:46   #6 (permalink)
Oxford Green AU

Re: AU 1 with ABS - brakes locking up

Quote:
Originally posted by muzz

Also there is a soft sqealing noise at highway speeds which sounds like the brakes dragging and disappears momentarily when the brake pedal is tapped.
I had this issue on my Au1 forte and so did my father on his Au2 forte. I too thought it was brakes as I just had new brake pads not too long prior. Apparently it's the wheel trims and they fix it by putting some grease on there. It might be something completely different but many of the members on here wouldn't experience this as they run mags.
Old 01-22-2003, 08:44   #7 (permalink)

JCV8 is correct, you should have your foot planted firmly and steer yourself out of trouble, pumping the brakes can be used for normal slowing/stopping.
I nearly hit a roo the other day, he was on a median strip at 8.00am, 4 lane highway, in the burbs. As they do, he jumped in front of me at the last minute, and I found out ABS does work, roo skidded to a halt as I was steering away (under full brakes) from the impending collision. Live roo, unmarked car. ABS rules, baby!

My 2.2c (inc GST)
Old 01-22-2003, 17:45   #8 (permalink)
I am a Turbo Wanker

JCV is correct - I did advanced defensive driving 2 years ago and you HAVE to mash the pedal to the floor and hold it there. THe ABS will do the rest.

Although trying to steer a VTII with 5 blokes in it with slicks and diesel round a bend at 80km with the ABS going nutz is harder than you think. Lets just say lots of steering lock and not much turning. But it turned, and thats what matters.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes