AU Super Lows and 17" problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2004, 03:36   #1 (permalink)

AU Super Lows and 17" problems

I have 17" Series III xr8 rims with King springs super lows and monroe GT gas shocks, the problem I have is that the car feels like it is driving on tram tracks, has anyone has this problem? also the ride is very hard, is this normal for super lows? or is this more s shock absober problem?, do I need a camber kit?
AU Series 1 I6 Futura, 17" XR Series III Rims, Kings superlow springs and Bilstien shocks, K-MAC adjustable caber kit, xr8 snorkle, BMC Filter, EF a/box lid, custom storm water pipeing, pacemakers, h/flow cat, 2 1/2" zorst mandrel bent, dyno'd @ 117.2kwrw b4 bmc
ir33t is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2004, 04:30   #2 (permalink)
I want my brothers car.

Re: AU Super Lows and 17" problems

had SL kings and monroe GT all round and found the ride to be quite nice, felt like i had much more control over the car and it stuck like glue to the road. with bumps it feels more like your moving with them, up down up down, rather than staying level.
have since put in Kings SSL's and Gabriel rear shocks, and still love the ride, maybe even better than before. you'll get used to the ride.
i need a camber kit, but will look at it when i get new tyres.
hope i helped a little

(OFR #10)
BF F6 Auto APS PHASE 3 11.44@125.7MPH Autotech Edit Tuned
Hamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 07:38   #3 (permalink)
EF & ZH owner

Of course your going to feel more bumps and feel the road better when your sitting closer to it, Doesnt sound like there is nothing extremely wrong with the way your car handles mate, You probably just have to get used to it.

Hamo; Got a pic of ur car with SSL's??

EF2 Futura - 2.5" zorst - K&N Filter - 3" intake - xr8 CAI - Wade 1004-14 Cam - Pacemaker PH4480 xtractors - 15" stockies

77 ZH Fairlane 500 - 302clevo - straight lpg - 12 slotters

God bless the lord, Henry Ford.
XCHASR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 12:59   #4 (permalink)

I'm very happy with the ride hight ~4" lower then when I got it, and i'm very happy with the high speed responce of the shocks, just not the low speed reaction. also the tram track nature of the steering at the moment is scary, has anyone else experianced the tram track thing?
AU Series 1 I6 Futura, 17" XR Series III Rims, Kings superlow springs and Bilstien shocks, K-MAC adjustable caber kit, xr8 snorkle, BMC Filter, EF a/box lid, custom storm water pipeing, pacemakers, h/flow cat, 2 1/2" zorst mandrel bent, dyno'd @ 117.2kwrw b4 bmc
Old 03-24-2004, 16:03   #5 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

egads ! 4" is a fair bit.
I would try and get your alignment adjusted - if its set at factory specs it will be way out IMO (and this can lead to tram-lining etc). The workshop manual for an AU should list different settings as the height changes (pretty sure the EF one does).
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 18:02   #6 (permalink)
EBII

I got 17x8's on my EB but its not lowered (yet) and i get a bit of the tram track effect, like when the wheels seem to be grabbin the steering wheel out of your hand and have to fight against it to go in the right direction.

I had my wheels rotated and aligned 5000ks after they were installed and they still do the same thing, im not too worried about it as it doesent do it that much :D
Old 03-24-2004, 18:55   #7 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

Tram lining/tracking is due to the combination of low ride and 8" wide tyres. I had this in the XR6 with King Super lows and standard shocks. As soon as I went to short stroke shocks (Konis) and installed a camber/castor kit, it fixed the problem.

AU1 XR8 Auto 147.9 rwkw (approx 215 fwkw)

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto
17s, Pacemakers, 3" Intake & Pod filter (The Family Hack)

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)
JC-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 19:06   #8 (permalink)

JC, what brand shock do you use?
Old 03-24-2004, 21:04   #9 (permalink)
Proud Ford Owner

The tramlining effect has nothing to do with shocks, or springs for that matter. It has to do with the lower ride height affecting you castor angle. The castor angle is what makes your wheels center themselves if you turn the wheel then let go (the wheel moving back to center).

Think of the wheels on a shopping trolley, it's the same principle.

You castor angle changes when you lower your car, and the only effective way to fix the problem is to change the castor angle back to factory specs, using a camber/castor kit.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 22:53   #10 (permalink)
Now boostless :-(

yeah mate my EF (superlows, 225 tyres, camber kit) tracks or "tram lines" like a bitch, i hate it. But my AU (superlows, 235 tyres, no camber kit) doesn't track... just depends on the car i guess.
NAPARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes