AU11 Ball joint failure/P-Strg vibration - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2005, 05:13   #1 (permalink)

AU11 Ball joint failure/P-Strg vibration

AU11 was bought 2nd hand (MAY 2005) with 105,000ks. before taking delivery the steering rack was replaced due to an oil leak.Before the warranty ran out, the power steering pump was replaced twice. another 2 were supposedly found defective during this replacement.
I still had a vibration in steering when moving very slowly and turning wheel to from centre to left lock, . This vibration was similar to the full lock vibration.
This vibration was not continuous when turning the wheel.
There was some vibration from centre to right lock but much less than the left vibration.
The vehicle developed a 'creaking' sound, very soft at first but soon got louder to be eventualy be traced to driver front wheel area.
This noise took about 3 weeks to go from just an occasional 'creak' to a full blown loud continous body flex sound creaking.
I took it to a Ford Dealer who replaced the lower right ball joint they claimed was totaly R/S.
Unusual they said for th right to go as its usualy the left from hitting the potholes/edge of roads.
113,000 on the clock which I think is a bit soon to wear out a ball joint.
However, the outcome is I now DONT have a vibration through the steering.
My uneducated guess is that the Balljoint was because of its wrn condition, was irregularly pulling against the steering and causing the vibration as the power steering pump/rack tried to turn the wheels.
Conclusion is to check for Ball joint wear if you feel vibration in the steering wheel at very low (walking) speed when turning the steering wheel very,very slowly.
gordon_s1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2005, 02:26   #2 (permalink)

Re: AU11 Ball joint failure/P-Strg vibration

The usual theory of the left wearing before the right doesn't work on Falcons from EA onwards. I've had a few, and every one has had a flogged out RH lower balljoint. Can be a pain to pick it too.
RPO-083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 03:09   #3 (permalink)
old B - new B

Re: AU11 Ball joint failure/P-Strg vibration

damn ball joints.....

i had one go in my old XF ute . RH side as well but up top. had only been in the car for about 6 months .

developed a vibration in the car that i could not pin piont till i had replaced just about every moving part in car.

put in another new ball joint ....fixed.

it was really pissing me off because i was trying to sell the ute and could not find this vibration that would come and go at random.
WWW.sunshield.biz
351cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes