Ford Forums banner

AUII XR8 track width

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Bluedriver 
#1 ·
Is there an easy and reasonably cheap way of widening the track width of the rear on an AUII XR8 to fill in the rear guards?
Is it legal to do so?

Interested to hear your comments?

#2 ·
I have pains with this as well Teza.......
I have just put new 18 x 8 and the front looks the goods but the back is still not full enough, I didn't want to put 18 x 9 on the rears (which is really the go ) as I lose doing rotations to spread the tyre wear, I do an average of 50000k's.
Lowering her would hide this but I'm trying to keep the factory ride as I have had enough of kidney belt rides and looking out on scrapping zorst and body kit damage.
I am seriously looking at 19's now to fill out the gaurds more but the lower profile rubber will certainly not ride the bumps well..........
Someone I know in the wheel game has mentioned "spacers" maybe its the go...
Heaps of the E series guys run spacers for the AU rims they fit...

#3 ·
Re: Re: AUII XR8 track width

Bluedriver said:
Heaps of the E series guys run spacers for the AU rims they fit...
I dont think there would be as many as you think. Remember there are copies of the AU2 17"s with the pre AU offset available.

Maybe thats the trick. Teza you could try 2 of the copies on the rears and Morris you could find 2 of the mags you have in pre AU offset. Gotta beat using spacers. :fraz: Just a thought :shrug:

#5 ·
Not sure about SA but Vic has regulation no more than 25mm track increase (or 50mm for live rear axle with front/rear brake split). Does anyone know how much the offset difference is, and if it will be ok. Also Teza, then if you have the copies on the back & then swap to the front it’ll look really strange! I’ve seen an AU with EL XR8 wheels & on the front it really pushes the tyres out.

#6 ·
I have 17x9s on the rear of my XR6 and honestly you can't see a great deal of difference in the way that they fill out the guards. Remember though that you can only change the track by 1 inch either side before it needs an engineering certificate in NSW. As well as your insurance company starting to worry.

Yes you do lose tyre rotation but I run Kumho 712s (their top tyre) and at $190 a tyre who cares? I'd rather pay that every 40 000 kms than waste money on higher cost brands.

My mags are actually Nissan GTR wheels and I've never seen them yet on another car, though I've been told that there is another Falcon in Victoria with them.

Have a look at the pics on my website below.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.