BA Brake Shudder issues - the resolution (!) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2004, 03:45   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

frown BA Brake Shudder issues - the resolution (!)

It seems that the engineering brains have found a solution for the brake shudder issue which has been fitted to production vehicles since October 2003.

Sadly for those suffering with the problem, the fix requires both a revised caliper and pad neither of which are interchangeable with the previous units individually.

It will be interesting to see how FCSD deals with the issues being experienced by many long suffering owners in terms of supplying complete replacement assemblies. The more cyncial among us would suggest that this might be slightly harder than pushing an elephant up a mountain with one finger but it would be nice to be proven wrong on that score.

I'd be interested in hearing what experiences (if any) those here with the issue have had in relation to fixes.

Russ
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2004, 04:25   #2 (permalink)

Re: BA Brake Shudder issues - the resolution (!)

I've had two problems with the brakes on my BA XR8:

1. The shudder on every application of the brakes, which the car had when I purchased it with 12,000 Km on the clock. They did an on disk machine & asc. fix and it has rectified that problem for now. (Now have 21,000 Km on clock and no signs of constant shuddering under normal conditions).

2. Shudderring under brakes while "Performance" driving. On the track or driving hard I think the rotors are warping with the heat causing shuddering and of course fading. When this happens I go for a slow drive to cool them off and the problem goes away (until next time). As I've strongly winged about non-performance brakes in performance cars in other threadsI won't harp on about that old chestnut again :\

I would be interested to see how the components in the fix you dscribe perform in comparison.

Cheers

Falcon XR8 - "A car powerful like a Gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a nerf ball"
BossyXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 04:36   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw

It will be interesting to see how FCSD deals with the issues being experienced by many long suffering owners in terms of supplying complete replacement assemblies. The more cyncial among us would suggest that this might be slightly harder than pushing an elephant up a mountain with one finger but it would be nice to be proven wrong on that score.

Russ
Well that depends where you place the finger .
Old 06-02-2004, 06:05   #4 (permalink)
Rip Up The Track Join OFR

HI Russell I had a very slight shudder when braking at 100klm down ..<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

at about 12,000klm a took it to the dealer after the machining of the disc's on the car and shims being put into the calipers the problem was fixed and gave me a better brake pedal to, done 6000klm since fix all is ok<o:p></o:p>

PHANTOM BA XR8 UTE, AUTO, UNICHIP, APS TUNED 229 RWKW ET:13.47.

Rods Rocket, Boss n/a 290 Unichip Tuned by APS et:12.6@110 Mph
We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

XRFPV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 15:54   #5 (permalink)
Member NSW FPVTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
I'd be interested in hearing what experiences (if any) those here with the issue have had in relation to fixes.

Russ
I've got May03 XR6T, about 19,000km.

So far had 4 disc machinings & another fix to fit caliper shims.

The most recent machining was about 2 weeks ago with what Ford called a precision lathe. Seemed good for a while, shudder already starting to return.

I'd be interested in any permanent solution. Russ please give me any details you can on this. When are dealers likely to offer this fix.

If these calipers you mention aren't interchangeable, why don't they just 'bite the bullet' & upgrade us to premuim brakes. (don't these just bolt on ?)

Cheers,
muzzzza...
muzzzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 17:56   #6 (permalink)
FFing Festive

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullthrottle
Well that depends where you place the finger .
LOL! Too true! Even elephants presumably have pressure points. Just be careful which one you use or it'll have your arm off.

Thanks Russ! Had the brakes machined the other day and was expecting a fix but the dealer claimed that any fix, shims included, have been temporary and ultimately unsuccessful. They said a few customers were on their 3rd set of rotors.

Good to know that there was some truth in what I was told. The question is how many sets of rotors does one have to go through to be eligible for the fix and how elephantine is the waiting list going to be???!!!
Old 06-03-2004, 04:09   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzzza
I've got May03 XR6T, about 19,000km.

So far had 4 disc machinings & another fix to fit caliper shims.

Cheers,
muzzzza...
You will be lucky to have any disc left soon. Are they going to replace your disc's when the are undersize in recoed time?????
Old 06-03-2004, 04:43   #8 (permalink)
Member NSW FPVTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpanorama
You will be lucky to have any disc left soon. Are they going to replace your disc's when the are undersize in recoed time?????
I was told originally by Ford Cust. Serv. that they would be replaced after 3 machinings, now they sais only when undersize.

Any idea what thickness is undersized. After last machining they recorded a thickness of about 29.5mm
muzzzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 05:32   #9 (permalink)
Rip Up The Track Join OFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzzza
I was told originally by Ford Cust. Serv. that they would be replaced after 3 machinings, now they sais only when undersize.

Any idea what thickness is undersized. After last machining they recorded a thickness of about 29.5mm
YOUR Right muzzzza there only allowed to be machined 3 times it says that on Ford own TSB after 3 machine's there replaced with new ones...

PHANTOM BA XR8 UTE, AUTO, UNICHIP, APS TUNED 229 RWKW ET:13.47.

Rods Rocket, Boss n/a 290 Unichip Tuned by APS et:12.6@110 Mph
We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

XRFPV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 06:38   #10 (permalink)

my car is a tad over one yaer old and 27000k's
xr6turbo

brakes are just jittery when driven under normal condition..
any pushing the limits or when brakes heat... they get really shuddery

any chance the dealer will put it down to wear and tear???
and any dalers preferred in melb?

thanks dudes
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes