Bendix Premium Pads - No Good! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2004, 01:27   #1 (permalink)
Formally Thomas

mad Bendix Premium Pads - No Good!

Recently did a brake pad change on the car. Got a set of bendix premiums and machined the discs. Noticed now that they are shocking. Car braking performance is shithouse. Stock ford pads were way better. After 1 high speed braking run, brake smell real bad and suffer from brake fade next time round. Only thing i have noticed is the produce shit all brake dust whereas stock ford pads used to cover my rim black!

Anyone else got there opinions of these pads, im gonna have to change them again thanks to this. Mite even go all out and get a set of slotted rotors
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2004, 03:21   #2 (permalink)
Mmm, high pressure wash.

Re: Bendix Premium Pads - No Good!

I think you need to bed your brakes in properly before doing any hard stops. Putting new pads against machined rotors will result in fairly poor braking for the first 100 km or so. Just take it easy and let them bed in.

I've got Ultimates on DBA Slotteds and they were crap when I first got them installed. Once they bedded in they were great. I recently had my rotors machined and pads linished and again I had to take it easy for a week or so to re-bed them in.
Off-white EL Series II Falcon GLi Sapphire (4.0L Slothmatic™) with K&N Filtercharger, Tickford Sports Suspension, DBA Longlife Gold (front), DBA Longlife Slotted (rear) and Bendix Ultimates all round. Driven by The Slothman™.

Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, or the Ford Forums Food Bandits, where cruising, eating and talking shite is what it's all about. Click here to visit the official (albeit slightly outdated) website!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team GT Media
We love having 3FB Inc guys around!
3Toed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 19:42   #3 (permalink)
Formally Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Toed
I think you need to bed your brakes in properly before doing any hard stops. Putting new pads against machined rotors will result in fairly poor braking for the first 100 km or so. Just take it easy and let them bed in.

I've got Ultimates on DBA Slotteds and they were crap when I first got them installed. Once they bedded in they were great. I recently had my rotors machined and pads linished and again I had to take it easy for a week or so to re-bed them in.
Well i did this change 2 months ago and have done 3000km since. I have allowed the bedding in process but there still pretty poor
Old 01-10-2004, 22:29   #4 (permalink)

but did you bed the pads in properley to begin with? e.g.: accelerate up to 50kph, and then apply medium brakes to slow down to 5 kph, and repeat, allowing at least 200 metres (cooling time) between applications for a minimum of 8 applications? This initially beds in the pads.
creature3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 05:43   #5 (permalink)
Formally Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by creature3
but did you bed the pads in properley to begin with? e.g.: accelerate up to 50kph, and then apply medium brakes to slow down to 5 kph, and repeat, allowing at least 200 metres (cooling time) between applications for a minimum of 8 applications? This initially beds in the pads.
Did exactly that only reached 40kph then slowed to 5kph then again accelerated. Did this about 10 times. Ive changed brakes/discs several times before. Just noticed these brakes to be worst so far
Old 01-11-2004, 17:19   #6 (permalink)
FPV & XR Club Owners ACT

I got the Bendix Advance pads on mine, and using the DBA Slotted and they work alot better then the standard factory rotor pad combo...

I found that for the first 100 or so kms after they were installed I did need to wear them in before I got good braking but that stage seems to have gone now and they are working a treat, been in for over 8months now..

FPV-Tickford Club of NSW, ACT Branch.

Check AUFalcon.com for Mr Cube's car
Mr Cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 18:02   #7 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

Your confident that there's no water / air in the lines ?
As said, its an unusual result - most people get very good results from the bendix products. Might be worth returning the pads, or getting someone who knows what to look for (i.e. glazing etc) to have a quick look at them.

I had very poor results with metal kings & slotted / cross drilled rotors. But others have had great results with the same combo. So I guess there might be freak pads or rotors out there ...
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 21:13   #8 (permalink)

I didn't like the ultimates but the metal kings are great (both on stock rotors)
Probably depends on batches or something...
XESpakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 14:36   #9 (permalink)

I recently replaced all my pads to bendix advanced and had all four rotors machined. I am doing alot of towing and they seem to be working well and produce little brake dust.
rickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 14:02   #10 (permalink)

on a edxr8 i have bendex ultima and i would agree that i dont think that thay r the gratest pad.. not shit house just not grate ... i find that work well after the third application but thay fade out fast.. would not get then again will try lucas pads next time..
oze50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes