Ford Forums banner

best brake upgrade for non abs EB???

5K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  TIKFD6 
#1 ·
Does anyone know or can recommend a quality brake upgrade kit to suit a non abs EB 5ltr?

I have looked into Cebco and Dba, but Im not sure what to get.

My driving style could be described as spirited during the week but can be more aggresive on the weekends.

My budget is 'as cheaply as possible' without sacrificing reliability.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
For around the $500-$600 mark dba slotted or x & slotted rotors and some good pads will make a nice improvement.
The next step is probably caliper upgrades. I think about the only / cheapest twin spots are cebco at $2000 or so entry . . .

Unless your really hard, or have serious upgrades, I'd probably just go the rotors and pads . . .

#3 ·
thanks for the reply Lamah, I was initailly thinking of going the dba slotted long lifes f/r and a full set of bendix performax pads. While the brakes were apart I would get the calipers checked over inc the slides and if there were any problems I'd get the recond.

How would I need to expect if for instance a full caliper recon and brake flush were in order?

#4 ·
blueoval said:
thanks for the reply Lamah, I was initailly thinking of going the dba slotted long lifes f/r and a full set of bendix performax pads. While the brakes were apart I would get the calipers checked over inc the slides and if there were any problems I'd get the recond.

QUOTE]

That is exactly what I would do. Sorry I know what a reco would cost

#6 ·
yeah thanks TIKFD6, it looks like the cheapest route to follow. Im not looking for the easiest way, but more the most reliable and effective way, without braking the bank of course! :whatever:

As I said before, a full set of Dba slotted long life rotors all round, a full set of Bendix performax pads all round and full recon the calipers (if they need it), new bearings all round, brake flush with a minimum of Dot 4 fluid plus an overall check of brake lines, booster and master cylinder condition. I also intend on getting my mechanic to fit them as my track record with working on cars is pathetic.

Ive budgeted around the $1200-$1500 mark to get this done. Is this going to be enough? Is what I want to do realistic?

#7 ·
When I got my brakes done, I paid $324 for cross drilled and slotted DBA rotors for the rear plus labour. This was at Cartoys so I'm not sure if they would be very competitive.

I'm looking to get my pads replaced soon as the green stuff pads somehow only lasted 8 or so months. I got quoted today $99 for Bendix pads (fronts) and $50 for the brake flush + dot4 brake fluid.

#8 ·
cheers for that andrew. Im thinking of going to motor traders to get all the stuff for what I need. I can get it from there at trade price. Last time I paid $105ea for front slotted rotors. and about $80 for a set of bendix pads.

All in all, Im gonna budget for the most reliable, cost efficient package without paying an arm or a leg for aftermarket calipers.

#11 · (Edited)
blueoval said:

How would I need to expect if for instance a full caliper recon and brake flush were in order?
You don't want to get bendix performax there not that good i just put a set on my abs EL. They don't stop at all until you get them really hot even then its not great. Get bendix ultimate or Advanced. Also I think I remember when i bought them the guy making sure i wasn't using them with sloted rotors. Im not sure it just what he told me. It was something about that there not cleaning or something? Someone else might have a better idea?

#12 ·
Big Jim - Well I have Advance pads on slotted fronts at the moment and the pads just heated up and made the rotors get hot spots and warp. Im not too happy with the advance pads. Thats why I was looking to performax. Ultimates I heard just eats away at your rotor even though they have good stopping capabilities.
Im confused as to what to get now, has anyone used Ferodo or EBC pads and can give me a good report?

#15 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.