Best way to tell if ya shocks are cactus - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2002, 17:49   #1 (permalink)
8 cylinder symphony

Question Best way to tell if ya shocks are cactus

Hey guys,

I was told that if you push the car down and it bounces back more than 3 times your shocks are stuffed. Is this right?

My car barely bounces once (its got superlows and sports shocks), but it makes a really annoying squeeking noise from the front when going into and out of driveways especially. Its not the bushes cos I have covered then in silicon spray and that did nothin.

does a squeking shock mean they are shot?

thanks,

Brendan
b-juggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2002, 19:56   #2 (permalink)

That pushing on the car should be an obvious sign (apparently). The proper way to check the shock though (at home) is to remove it (them) from the car and mount them upright in a vice, clamping the shock by the lower mounting flange. Pull the shock absorber up, then slowly push it back down again. Resistance is greater going up than down. Do this about 6 to 8 times and remove any "slack spots". If there is still slack stops then the shockie is stuffed.

A mate of mine reckons I busted a shock in the front end of my ute. The obvious sign was a fluid leak at the top of the shock tower inside the engine bay. He also pushed on the front corner of the ute and it bounced up and down a little bit more than the other side. Its an XB ute with Lovells front springs. When I go to swap the shocks over (spare car with good shocks) I will test the one I think is busted with the method above.

Im no professional but it doesnt sound like your shocks to me. Is it when the steering has a lot of lock on it (eg when turning 90 degrees into a driveway)?

Hope this is of some help

Simon
Old 06-12-2002, 20:26   #3 (permalink)
8 cylinder symphony

nope steering is only slightly turned - and it seems to only come from the front left wheel....what else could cause a squeeking?
b-juggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 22:33   #4 (permalink)
aurora

What else, how about your front rubber bushes.
I accidentally got some WD40 on mine while lubricating the underbody and the car really squeaked badly.
Went to Pedders Port Adelaide who fitted my suspension on my car and they simply re greased them and for no cost
Asked about polyurethane bushes and all the guys said that they are too hard and destroy your suspension
Check your wheel bearings dude.
You can always go to a local Pedders suspension shop and have them check the shocks on that "BOGE" shock tester.
$14 bucks for a safety check ain't much and you'll know for sure how good your shocks are.
Old 06-12-2002, 23:06   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by aurora

Asked about polyurethane bushes and all the guys said that they are too hard and destroy your suspension

Your thinking of Nolathane bushes, not polyurethane. (in another post you actually mention that Nolathane ones are too hard, but now your saying Polys are??)
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 04:01   #6 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

your car should not bounce, if you push it up and down really hard then let go at the bottom, it should go up then down a little to sit at normal ride height, which is what you say your car does, so your shocks are OK.

you sure that Pedders shock tester is a 'BOGE' and not a "BODGEY" shock tester? it is in Pedders best interest to tell you your shocks are stuffed, so they can then sell you new ones. not that i am saying they are dodgy or anything, but you can tell a shock is worn by bouncing the car easily enough.

this squeek is probably a bush in your suspension that is dry or unservicable, worst case scenario is you have a torn ball joint boot, all the grease has leaked out and the squeek is metal on metal contact.

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 04:35   #7 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

If your car has say over 70/80 thousand the shocks will be going off..Not stuffed but you'll notice the difference heaps if you fit good gas type shocks...

With late model tight suspension its hard to well by bouncing the suspension,they are cheap enough and good shocks are SOOOO much safer especially at speed on outback roads.The more your tyre stays on the road the BETTER grip it has!!! Trust me after fitting them,you'll realise how bad the others were...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 04:59   #8 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

There is NO WAY you are really going to simulate what a shock goes through by bouncing the car up & down a few times or clamping the shock in a vice & doing it with muscle power. Though if it fails these tests or is leaking it is definetly F^%$#D.

A chassis testing machine like "Boge" or whatever is the only real way to tell. If its the original shock or a "budget" type replacement it would be lucky to still be 1/2 as effective as a new one after as little as 20-30,000 kms. As for 70-80,000kms I doubt it. These are very hard worked components and very critical to a safe car. If at all in doubt they are probably stuffed or on their way out.

I suggest you replace them with something decent ASAP.
Old 06-13-2002, 15:57   #9 (permalink)
Ex Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ebxr8240
If your car has say over 70/80 thousand the shocks will be going off..Not stuffed but you'll notice the difference heaps if you fit good gas type shocks...

With late model tight suspension its hard to well by bouncing the suspension,they are cheap enough and good shocks are SOOOO much safer especially at speed on outback roads.The more your tyre stays on the road the BETTER grip it has!!! Trust me after fitting them,you'll realise how bad the others were...
I second that notion...

it feels like a whole new car almost... after 80,000k's on a falcon it feels like your driving a boat around, new shocks and its like new, although i chuck out and change the springs at the same time. I just like spending money.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes