big brake upgrade - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2004, 17:28   #1 (permalink)
Blue Blood

big brake upgrade

Hey all,

As some might know i'm seriously looking at getting a play car, most likely an ED XR6 (as it will also go on the track and down with fpvxrclub and down the shute at any events I can). However one of the first mod's I want to do is a sizable brake upgrade as well as wheel upgrades. I'm looking at 17"x7" or 17"x8" alloys (Holotype R from Speedy Wheels) but the brakes i'll be looking for would be something in the order of 4piston AP Racing calipers onto some ~345mm two piece discs (grooved and vented) up front and 300-320mm 2 piston rears.

Now what i'd hope to do, is use the front calipers (assuming they are 2 piston units) on the rear with the upgraded components on the front. Also potentially use the front discs on the rear. Can that work?

45,000km service coming up - and i'll be asking for a sizable list of fixes:
* Gearbox (3rd time)
* Steering click (5th time)
* Brake Shudder (2nd time, and has the applied "Fix")
* etc...
ianmcginley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2004, 18:24   #2 (permalink)
Love having 3 peddles

Re: big brake upgrade

Ed Xr's only came with single piston front and rears to my knowledge. and the caliper setup from front to rear is completely diffrent so they are not interchangable due to the hand brake.
You can machine your front spindles and fit twin piston EL GT fronts, but I have no idea what you cn do about the rears.
Speek to TIKFD6, as he has done an upgrade on his brakes.
Old 08-09-2004, 18:34   #3 (permalink)
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunns
Ed Xr's only came with single piston front and rears to my knowledge. and the caliper setup from front to rear is completely diffrent so they are not interchangable due to the hand brake.
You can machine your front spindles and fit twin piston EL GT fronts, but I have no idea what you cn do about the rears.
Speek to TIKFD6, as he has done an upgrade on his brakes.
Yeah i'm well aware of Kerry's brake upgrade, but i'm thinking upgraded on that again. So the rears have integrated hand brakes... Hmmm be interesting to see what to do about the rears.

* Gearbox (3rd time)
* etc...
Old 08-09-2004, 21:04   #4 (permalink)
400 kg ego

I understand Kyle Hopf, a Qld owner of a 10/11 second EA turbo, sourced 4 piston front calipers and slotted/vented discs all round. Unfortunately the article I have doesn't give any more details.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 02:36   #5 (permalink)
FPVWEPN

leave the rear calipers stock just get new rotors and pads the back by upgrading the backs u wont notice much neway 4 piston at the front is a bit of overkill why not try some twin piston corvette calipers with new rotors and pads ur looking at almost the 2k mark
King Springs Superlows, K-mac camber-castor kit, colour coded interior, AU3 Xr8 Snorkle, K&N pod Filter, Deribbed Air Box, AutoLite Plugs, JMM Race Series Headers, High flow cat, 2.5 inch Redback exaust, 3" stainless steel intake, dev 5 cam, rollmaster timing gear, crow valve springs, stainless steel valves, dev 5 head, au headgasket, 4.11 LSD "174 rwks!!!"
FPVWEPN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 02:39   #6 (permalink)
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVWEPN
leave the rear calipers stock just get new rotors and pads the back by upgrading the backs u wont notice much neway 4 piston at the front is a bit of overkill why not try some twin piston corvette calipers with new rotors and pads ur looking at almost the 2k mark
4piston are actually the warmed down versions... I was initially spec'ing out some 6 piston AP Racings and rotors that would require 18" rims.... ;-)

The more stopping power, the later you can leave it before the corner, the faster the track speed. :)

* Gearbox (3rd time)
* etc...
Old 08-10-2004, 02:43   #7 (permalink)
FPVWEPN

what type of engone mods are u planning on doing
King Springs Superlows, K-mac camber-castor kit, colour coded interior, AU3 Xr8 Snorkle, K&N pod Filter, Deribbed Air Box, AutoLite Plugs, JMM Race Series Headers, High flow cat, 2.5 inch Redback exaust, 3" stainless steel intake, dev 5 cam, rollmaster timing gear, crow valve springs, stainless steel valves, dev 5 head, au headgasket, 4.11 LSD "174 rwks!!!"
FPVWEPN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes