Biggest rear wheels on an XY? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2001, 20:12   #1 (permalink)
ex-Ford owner

Question Biggest rear wheels on an XY?

Hi people,

Toying around with the idea at the moment of swapping the rear suspesion set-up on the XY from leaf springs to a ladder bar set-up, and then replacing the stock wheel wells with mini tubs to take on some much bigger rubber.

By rights there could be enough space to fit a 15x10 inch rim with something like a 13 inch wide tyre, but the problem I can see happening is rubbing on the chassis as the chassis opens out wider as it heads further to the rear to fit around the fuel tank.

Does anyone actually know what the widest rim/tyre combination that can be fit under the rear guards without modifying the chassis or exterior sheet metal. I'm assuming that the leaf springs are out of the way and there are no clearance problems with the wheels wells.

I really want to avoid stepping the chassis rails, or going for a rear 3/4 chassis with a fuel cell set-up.

Thanks for any info...
XYFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2001, 21:41   #2 (permalink)

15 x 10 - maybe...

On my old XY I used to have 14 x 10 12 slotters with the usual 265/50/14 tyres, lowered 2" and the rear guards pumped and they scraped all the time with a load . Couldn't put more than about $20 fuel in before it scraped! I then sold these and bought 15 x 10 Simmons that were dished right in and problem was solved - sort of, they were very close to the leaf spring now. I only had 245 tyres on them (all that was available at the time), I think 265 or bigger would of scraped on the leaf.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2001, 21:45   #3 (permalink)

eek

Foot slipped....honest!

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Old 11-29-2001, 21:46   #4 (permalink)

And again...bloody shoes!

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Old 11-30-2001, 00:25   #5 (permalink)
ex-Ford owner

Nice looking car Falcoon, I bet you regret parting with that one!

The tyres I'm hoping to run would probably be the equivalent of a 305 in width, and would stand 29 inches tall which is about the same as a 60 series 275. Very very big tyres.

With the leaf springs removed there will be more space, but given the huge diameter I'm concerned that the tyres would rub the chassis at the back near the fuel tank.

There was a nice silver XW sedan in the previous issue of Street Machine that was tubbed and running the set-up I'm after, but as usual the article didn't give enough details and there were no pictures showing under the rear. Man, how I'd love to stick my head under the rear of that thing!!
Old 12-01-2001, 18:39   #6 (permalink)
Chromed Member

falchoon botch belts you in the head for selling such a top XY

XYFALCON botch is happy about your proposed mods. You definately werent mucking around when you said you had planned to make your XY a bit "DIFFERENT"

:s3
botch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 06:03   #7 (permalink)
Veteran revhead

Did you ever blow the stock diff up? I had 265's on the back of my old XW and they never used to rub, until I blew the stock diff and replaced it with a Fairlane diff (wider track) and it rubbed. Blew that one up in short order too.

And yes, the 265's used to rub (just) on the leaf springs.
Old 12-02-2001, 16:07   #8 (permalink)
ex-Ford owner

Great botch as I was wondering if you were thinking about giving me the belting in the head for making some modifications that can't really/easily be undone.

My research continues on...

The more I think about it the less I like the idea of touching the rear chassis rails so my rim/tyre combo may have to come down in stature a little to something more like a 15x8 rim with a 275/60x15 tyre. Still would require removing the leaf springs and going for mini-tubs to stuff them up under the guards but the chassis definitely wouldn't be a problem.

Anyone live near Mansweto racing in NSW? That's where that nice ProStreet XW is...
Old 12-02-2001, 17:48   #9 (permalink)

I sold the car to buy a house, can't live in a car!
I wanted to do something similar to my XY but had to stop somewhere. Maybe you could contact John Taverna and ask him for advice.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Old 12-03-2001, 01:29   #10 (permalink)
Chromed Member

Cant drive a house either!

When you see that much smoke out the back of your house.....................run:CU: :CU: :CU:
botch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes