Bizzare Sway Bar - TD Cortina - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2004, 18:14   #1 (permalink)

Bizzare Sway Bar - TD Cortina

Guys, i've just picked up a TD Cortina (250 pre crossflow) and the front left radius arm is snapped..

no worries i picked one up from a local wrecker for 30 bux
the dilemma comes when i started trying to find new bushes.. the suspension set up on the old girl is not the same as she was back in 74

it had a front sway bar conversion, which to me looks like a hack.. instead of the original sway bar that had lsway bar link arms to the top of the lower control arms and then ran under the sump. it has a sway bar that bolts onto the front of the chassis with d-clamps.. all this is normal.. but the ends of it just clamp onto the radius arms with 2 univeral 20m 'D' bushes, i've never seen anything like this.. however looking at whitelines catalogue.. it seems they have something that could be similar (hard to tell from the description)
quote: '71-5/77 TC,TD Front Clamps to radius rod'

has anyone seen this before, and if so.. is it better and original? its the only reason i can think of why someone would so this
delcarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2004, 19:26   #2 (permalink)

Re: Bizzare Sway Bar - TD Cortina

Something must be terribly wrong to break a radius rod. I'd investigate further if i were you. They shouldn't be breaking.

I once ripped a radius rod clean through the chassis after a particulary hard launch and a bad landing, but there was no actual breakage. The rubber bush just pulled through.

I also used the strange sway bar that you refered to. It was clamped to both radius rods but did not have the central D brackets to which you referred.

If you are unsure, have someone in the know check out your front end for you.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 04:18   #3 (permalink)

Re: Bizzare Sway Bar - TD Cortina

i've sorted out the problem,
it turns out that its an aftermarket whiteline sway bar (thats a good thing)..
i'm guessing the last owner probably hit something pretty hard to break the radius rod though
(my mate hit a kerb in his mini with locked brakes and did the same thing, bent the brakets too)

i'll take a photo of it later this week for anyone else that happens to ever have this problem
delcarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes