Brake Bleeding - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2003, 21:04   #1 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

Brake Bleeding

Hey guys,

Recently I replaced the master cylinder on my EA with one in known good working order. anywho, i bolted the m/cylinder on, filled it up with fluid, had an assistant push the pedal to the floor, covered the holes with my fingers ( i know, not the best method ) while the pedal returned. did this a few times, bled the rest of the system and i had about 3/4 pedal. a few weeks later i decided it wasnt enough of a pedal. So I got another assistant to pump the pedal a few times, then hold, I cracked one of the lines at the mastercylinder, pedal goes to the floor, nipped it back up, pedal slowly returns. get assistant to hold pedal again, crack it, pedal goes to floor etc etc, i repeated this about 3 times on each of the 3 lines at the m/cylinder, ensuring it had sufficient fluid at all times.
Next I moved to the rear PASSENGER caliper, had the assistant hold the pedal, i cracked the line, pedal goes to the floor, nip it up, pedal returns, I did this until there were no longer any bubbles expelling into the jar of fluid. Then I moved onto the next calipers and repeated the process, rear drivers was next, front passenger and finally front drivers.

Now I have a worse pedal than before! admittedly the assistant this time was my GF's 10 year old sister so that may have had something to do with it. The only way I got my 1/2 pedal back was to self bleed ( crack a line and let it drip for 3 mines etc )

Anyways ALL the old fluid is now out of the system, I had a quick look under the rear and I think the caliper I am supposed to start on is the DRIVERS rear as the lines run down the passenger side of the car, not the drivers as i first thought.

Can someone point out anything I am doing wrong, should I start at the rear drivers or passenger bleed nipple on the falcon
( I have used above method successfully on about 5 other different cars )
Thanks for ya help!

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2003, 00:52   #2 (permalink)
100 SPEED LIMITED SILVAEA

Location: gold coast and off playing with 32psi of boost pumping into 4.1lt of pure ohc feralness and developing a 350hp n/a kit for ea-au i6, also making 5.0lt gear soon enuf
Re: Brake Bleeding

ok mate to bleed the brake this is the procedure:-

there is 4 points in the system where bleeder valves are fitted, one on each caliper

1. fill the fluid reservior with clean hydralic brake fluid and maintain at least 1/3rd full through out the intire bleeding opperation.

2.attach a transparent to bleeder valve on left rear caliper and immerse the other end of the hose in some clean brake fluid contained in a container and is held higher than the bleeder valve.

3. unscrew the bleeder valve one complete turn.

4.have an assistant depress the brake pedal slowly to the full extent of it travel.close the bleeder valve and allow the brake pedal to return without resistance.

5. reapeat step 4 until there is a constant stream of fluid, (with out any air bubbles), is being discharged,is being discharged in to the container. hold the brake pedal down and tighten the bleed valve.

6. carry out the bleeding on the right rear, then the left front then the right front calipers in that order.

7.top up the reservior with specified fluid to the indicated level and install the reservior cap

8. ur all done.

NOTE:- DO NOT ALOOW THE FLUID LEVEL TO DROP BELOW 1/3RD IN THE RESERVIOR.

CHEERS HOPE THAT HELPS.joe.

1000hp is underway. rods,pistons here!! t88 on its way!!
gm dstroya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 00:54   #3 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

OK, I was just flipping through the manual and realised that the master cylinder is equipped with a fast fill valve between the reservoir and primary bore, which means that to bleed it correctly I have to wait a minimum of 10 seconds between the pedal being fully released and the next stroke. Which I didnt do, Ill give it another go tomorrow

Lowered EF Futura

Last edited by SiX_iN_a_RoW; 06-29-2003 at 00:57.
Old 06-29-2003, 00:56   #4 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

ok thanks for that joe, thats pretty much what I did, I think Ill give it another go tomorrow

Lowered EF Futura
Old 06-29-2003, 03:31   #5 (permalink)

Before you bleed the lines at the wheels you should bleed the master cyl first. If you have a cruise switch fitted get a helper to press the brake pedal & crack the pressure switch be careful not to push the o ring out from the switch. Do this a couple of times then do the same with the brake lines on the master cyl then bleed at the wheels starting with the right rear first.
SPALDING GREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 04:06   #6 (permalink)
Chasing down oil leaks...

I was told to NEVER let the pedal go to the floor when bleeding brakes. Cos you can get rust, dirt, etc build up where the brake pedal goes into the cylinder and this causes the seals to be stuffed or something.. Not sure of the exact terminology but that was the jist of it..

Dan..

Axeman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 23:31   #7 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

Well, 2.5 MORE bottles of brake fluid and still only half a pedal. In fact I pretty much had NO pedal until I used the last 1/4 of the bottle to gravity bleed the system, it seems to be the only way I can get any sort of a pedal

*&#$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lowered EF Futura
Old 06-30-2003, 00:31   #8 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

Ah well its booked in for a vacuum bleed tomorrow so Ill see if that corrects the problem

Could a caliper sticking on contribute to a low, spongy pedal?

Lowered EF Futura
Old 07-01-2003, 03:35   #9 (permalink)

Yes , but usually when driving.
SPALDING GREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 06:35   #10 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

usually a sticking caliper would give you a hard pedal unless you pressed firmly, then it would drop suddenly as the caliper unstuck.

cant offer any advice 6 - it seems you have done everything correctly.

check your front wheel bearings are done up nice and tight and there is no play in them, you get a poor pedal if your wheel bearings are loose...

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes