Brake Booster - Drums and Disc - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2003, 09:52   #1 (permalink)
LSVTECSEDAN

Brake Booster - Drums and Disc

Hello, I'm trying to fix my mom 1989 Ford Thunderbird LX w/drums. My brother recently got into an incident with it. Spun the car doing a 360 twice. The driver rear wheel smack into the curb. Broke the knuckle and the axle.

I went to go buy the knuckle and axle at this junkyard up in Baldwin Park, CA USA. They sold me 92' Thunderbird SC parts. The axle has a gear teeth on it while the knuckle have rear disc and caliper on it.

My question is would it matter if I put on disc brakes or do I need to replace the brake booster to compensate the braking distribution. Is the brake booster the same?

Last edited by LSVTECSEDAN; 11-28-2003 at 09:55.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2003, 19:53   #2 (permalink)
Birdman93

Re: Brake Booster - Drums and Disc

SC parts are NOT interchangeable with base models unless you replace the entire rear braking system and Bosster/Mcyl, along with all of the other components needed for the swap.

The teeth on the axle mean that the car the parts came off of had ABS.

I would take the parts back and tell them you want the correct components for your 89 LX-and make sure they understand that you have an LX-NOT an SC.

Nothing worse than a junkyard with people who don't understand the difference between the Bird models-or that don't look and make sure they have the right part!
Old 11-29-2003, 00:13   #3 (permalink)
LSVTECSEDAN

Re: Brake Booster - Drums and Disc

This what I discover between the two axles and knuckles.

Non-SC TB
Axle - Inner shaft teeth count at 28, no gear teeth but has a place to add the gear teeth for ABS, Inner shaft size measure the same as SC axle, before Inner shaft end the shaft is a few centimeter off. Meaning before the shaft end it's smaller.

Knuckle - 4 bolts, brake caliper brackets not drilled out

SC TB
Axle - Inner shaft teeth count at 28, has gear teeth for ABS, Inner shaft size measure the same as Non-SC axle

Knuckle - 3 bolts and 1 not drilled out

Conclusion
Tomorrow I will try to see if everything fits fine and see whether I can drill out the holes in the bracket. I'd probably post up some pics for comparison and driveability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes