Ford Forums banner

Brake Ligt Help, PLEASE!

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Ghia 
#1 ·
OK, I thought I had my problem sovled - but obviosuly not.
When my head lights are on, my tail lights work fine. However, when I brake, the RH brake light goes on (OK), and the Parcel Shelf brake light goes one (OK).
The problem is the LH brake light doesn't come on, BUT it also turns the tail light off too!:sad:
I have changed the globes, and they are allright. It seams like (In my dodgy wisdom) that a have a crappy ground, but i dunno.
Any help would be appreciated.
:hrm:

#4 ·
dcstraight said:
Maybe it's a dirty ef thing ? ;-) hehe

Maybe it is... But id rather have the EF with one annoying tail light than a 2 tonne tank, HMAS DCSTRAIGHT hehehe. Only joking mate, well not really - it probably does way two tonne!:HAHA:

Now all i've gotta do is find where the bastard is grounded, any help guys before I go outside and have a look.

#5 ·
Yeah, check the Left Hand Side Brake Light Connector.
What can happen is the metal sleeve inside the Bulb holder can get bent, rusty, and dirty.
This Sleeve is used to both hold the bulb in place, and to also provide a Common Ground to the Bulb.

If this is not providing a good electrical connection, then when you turn on your park lamps, the only grounding for the LHS Bulb filament is the Brake Lamp Circuit. (Hence the Park Lamp works on the LHS, but also you will notice that the Brake Lights will also Illuminate a little bit).
When Both the Park Lamps, and the Brake lights are Illuminated, then there is no where for the power to go (In terms of ground), therefore the Lamp will completely Black out.

Get some sandpaper, and rub the inside of the Bulb Holder, and also check that the Bulb is in correctly. (I.E. do not force the Bulb in, it should be a tight fit, but not to the extent that you will nearly break the plastic on the Bulb holder to get it to fit in !

Hope this helps
Cheers
Matti

#6 ·
Thanks for all your help XYPHOID and BIGXR8 (And no help from smartarse waggon driver:fairy )
I re-earthed the grounds for the tail lights and all seems to be fine now, so I'll assume that it was just a dodgy ground. At least its all working now and I wont have Mr Plod telling me that the rear LH light doesn't work!:s6:

#8 ·
Fusion,

No, im sure that my indicators dont come on when I brake. :bhrmmm2: When I fixed them yesterday I got dad to get in the car and brake (whilst turning the headlights from on to off) and it all worked sweet:s6:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.