Brake Master cyl. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2002, 05:46   #1 (permalink)
Officially Bored with 347

Brake Master cyl.

Hey guy's I have a "Q" for you.
A friend of mine told me that the Tickford master cylinder from an AU to an ED is larger (1 inch vs. 7/8ths or something) and improves the pedal feel ten times, does anyone know if this is true & whether or not it'll fit an ED brake system
Thanx people
Brett

Member of the "TKTDSGM " Group..
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2002, 06:09   #2 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

I imagine it would be bigger to accomodate the bigger brakes the AU has compared to previous models. It pumps out more fluid for less movement and would improve your pedal feel a little....
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 06:24   #3 (permalink)

yep understand the concept of a master & slave cyl .. recon it'd fit an ED jase?

Old 08-14-2002, 15:41   #4 (permalink)

It will bolt on. When bolting on a larger bore M/cyl than std you will get a different pedal feel, ie it will feel firmer/harder that's the up side. The down side is that you up the pedal force required for a given deceleration. ie you have to push harder (on the brake pedal) to stop the same. If you just change the Mcyl you may change things enough so that the vehicle will no longer meet the ADR requirements & hence be unroadworthy. The larger rotors used on the XR give a greater mechanical leverage factor than the std falcon ones, thus coupled with the larger bore Mcyl gives pedal feel improvement whilst still passing government regs.
NOTE if you are thinking of changing to larger discs as well remember the wheels might not fit back on the car, 15" wheels certainly won't, not sure about 16" though.
Have fun experimenting.
SRV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 19:58   #5 (permalink)

I thought with the larger surface area master cyc you'd need less effort for the same amount of work...... Hmmmmm me must have been asleep at tradeschool

Old 08-14-2002, 23:13   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by svo302
I thought with the larger surface area master cyc you'd need less effort for the same amount of work...... Hmmmmm me must have been asleep at tradeschool
If you have the same force per square inch/mm then you would be correct. Your brake pedal input is divided up across the area available, if you increase your bore size then the area available is greater hence a lower force per square whatever, but you will displace more fluid for a given pedal travel hence the pedal feels better by being both shorter & feeling firmer. Larger discs will give a greater mechanical advantage to the calipers that will lessen or negate the effect of a larger bore, of course bigger discs take up more room in the wheel envelope meaning that Tickford rotors allow fitment of 15" rims. Another thing that Tickford do for pedal feel is use a different pedal ratio on some models (not sure which).

Can I go back to my hangover now!!!!!! please!!!!!!
Old 08-15-2002, 15:24   #7 (permalink)

Just remembered something else, ED Mcyl ports are different config to AU. If I remember properly then ED had a tin booster? with the rear lines coming from the Mcyl at the booster end (back of the Mcyl. AU had a plastic booster with the rear lines coming out of the front end of the Mcyl, the fitting to the rear port also went from 10*1 thread to 12*1 thread. It is very important to use the correct port otherwise you will end up with proportioning to the front brakes instead of the rears, if that happens then you WILL be performing ground loops down the road when trying to brake. One more thing the Booster output rod to Mcyl clearance will need to be checked (set) if you fit an AU booster to an ED booster. One more one more thing, check the proportioning number on the front of the Mcyl, it should read something like
""" C2.4 or C3.1 or whatever. """"" if you go bigger on that number then again you may see ground loops while trying to brake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes