Ford Forums banner

brake pad replacement

4K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  AussieFord 
G
#1 ·
This is my first as a newbie. As with most owners of el xr8s the front wheels tend to end up with alot of brake dust caked on them.When i spoke to ford about the problem they said the only cure was to put a metal pad on. He also said that the brake rotors would wear considerably compared to the soft pads whick were fitted now.Has anyone got a suggestion on how to rectify the promblem?

G
#3 ·
G'day xxr80. Yeah, the sad part is that there's no real solution to the problem that doesn't comprimise braking performance in one way or another. Good pads + aggressive rotors = big dust, so it depends if you're willing to perform regular cleaning in exchange for better braking :)

Mike

#4 ·
Apparently Bendix Performax Pads has low dust, and they also claims that rotor wear is also minimised. (compared to their Metal King pads)

#6 ·
BETTER LATE THAN NEVER.
I RAN METAL KINGS ON MY ED6 FOR 6 MONTHS, TOP BRAKES WHEN WARMED UP, BUT DBA DOES NOT RECOMMEND USING METAL PADS ON THERE DRILLED & SLOTTED ROTORS, SO I CHANGED TO PERFORMAX.
THESE PADS ARE NOT FAR OFF THE METAL KINGS FOR ROAD USE(TRACK METAL KINGS FAR OUTSHINE PERFORMAX)BUT THE PERFORMAX ARE A FAR CLEANER RUNNUNG PAD. THE METAL KINGS GOT NOTICABLY DIRTY AFTER THREE TO FOUR DAYS, WHERE AS THE PERFORMAX DONT FOR ATLEAST 7/8 DAYS. BY THAT TIME THE CAR IS DUE FOR A TUB.

CHEERS
KERRY

G
#7 ·
You hav a few options
1. Stoping brake dust on the frt wheels DONT drive the car.
2. Live with the prob.
The dust that you are talking about is a combination of friction material and rotor material.
the frt pads and discs are the same as the EA Falcon, the difference b/w this car and yous is not only 10+ years but the veh is ALOT heavier and faster, so the manufactures (Ford/PBR) have had to manufacture a more agressive pad. Hence the rotor wear on the later mod vehicles is far greater than ever b4 !!!
Its all up to what u want from you brakes, no dust = poor stoping
lots of dust = great stopping.

How do u think i feel come car wash day with DBA slotted rotors and Bendix Ultimate pads and travelling through Sydney traffic !!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.