Ford Forums banner

Brake Pads and rotors

4K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  pmurgatroyd46 
G
#1 ·
Hay what pads do you guys run on / suggest
I recently put on DBA slotted and cross drill rotors (about 1 month ago) and Bendix ultimate pads. The rotors are getting ripped to shreds and I have had the front rotors machine once already and it feels like they are needing it again. I only use the car in normal driving (no hot laps or anything) all I can think of is the pads are so hard they are destroying the ortors (which already have very deep markes from the area of the pad contact) So what do you guys run or suggest running ?

G
#2 ·
That's surprising. I had the exact same setup and never had to worry about uneven wear. Admittedly the rotors did eventually wear enough to need replacement but that was after several tens of thousands of kays.

I've sinced switched to slotted dba rotors on the front (still with ultimates) and no problems yet after a few months. This with some fairly aggressive driving including a few track sessions.

G
#4 ·
Yeah, sounds strange. I too have cross-drilled + slotted on the front end, with Ultimates, and haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary. Like my man Kon, I do give mine a spell of curry every now and then, and apart from the normal wear, everything seems in order.

Perhaps they secretly upgraded your master cylinder to truck-spec while you weren't looking ;-)

Mike

#6 ·
I have a set of DBA crossed drilled and grooved rotors on my EL XR8 2, and I did a fair bit of investigation into the rotors from the company who built them. The technical advise from DBA was that the Bendix Ultima was the best fully metal brake pad on the market but, it would wear the rotors out prematurely.

I went to Castle Hill brakes, at Castle Hill and they fitted a very good semi metal pad that had a heat rating of some 400oC, which is a lot better than the factory 275oC pads and only just short of the 500oC Ultima pads.

I have had no wear at all and the pads have been on for some 20,000 klms and the brakes stop the car great.

Peter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.