Brake Squeeal - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2003, 18:14   #1 (permalink)

Brake Squeeal

I have a AU2 Xr8 Ute and I have noticed a loud squeal coming from it seems all brakes.
Only having recently purchased the Ute it is still covered by the dealers warranty so I returned it .They told me that prior to them selling it to me someone had replaced the standard pads with some after market ones.
However as the pads are in good working order they would not replace them.!@!
I then took the Ute to my local Mech. who pretty much said the same thing . No damage to the disc and the pads look near new.
My dilemma is there a way of stopping this annoying squeal or do I have to change the pads, and if I do which ones should I look at.
If anybody has some advice or tips I would appreciate it .
XR8 REVIVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2003, 21:31   #2 (permalink)

I don't know the answer but I have the same problem with my rear discs. The mechanic told me that it is because the disc is too shiny and there is not much you can do until the pads wear out.

Please anyone know how to stop the squeak, my car feels like a shitbox driving around town. Its both annoying and bloody embarrasing.
xhute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 22:18   #3 (permalink)
Lord of the RC

Re: Brake Squeeal

There is some stuff you can get in a can that stops the squeaking

Tends to happen mostly when everything is new, once they have worn in a bit its usually ok, thats what i have found anyway.
fordel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 23:51   #4 (permalink)
17" is for 4cyc

fordel sorry "it tend to happen when everything is new", ex brake mech and am in the game in another area now.
Only did my AU last weekend, slotted rotors and Performax pads, no squeaks at all and there shouldn't be, done many many over the years.
Squeaks only occurs from shortcuts :
No machining of rotors (not brand new rotors) when putting on new pads.
Cheap no name pads
XR8 Revival I have to say great customer care from who ever you purchased from, no responesibility, whatever happened to going beyond your customer's needs ?
Not OE brand ! Half the aftermarket brands are made by the same manufacturer anyway, thats another storey.
Listen there's anti squeal goo to put on the back of the pads, 50/50 remedy, bite the bullet get the rotors machined if there is enough meat left and a good brand pad. Nothing more annoying than rattles and squeaky brakes.
Old 08-27-2003, 23:56   #5 (permalink)
Lord of the RC

Thanks for the correction there Bluedriver :)

Was just from personal experience that they squealed when new :)

Cheers again :)

Chris
fordel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 04:02   #6 (permalink)

Thanks guyd for the response .
Bludriver I appreciate your inside view on the problem .
I have got some cheap sprayon cleaner that the miss'us is happy for me to try.
However I might have to lead her down the path of some beefed up Brembos

Hey ya never know !!
Old 08-28-2003, 04:10   #7 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

All brakes make a noise; it's just usually at a frequency that the human ear can't hear (think about it; what would you expect placing any material againsta fast spinning steel disk). That said, the ability to hear the brakes is usually caused by the pads vibrating although brake pad dust and rough disk can also be contibutors)

Ways to fix it are:

a) Use CRC Stop Squeal (pink adhesive goo) available from Repco and most autopart places. This rubbery adhesive goes on the back of the pad and in 95% of cases stop the audible squeal. I use it all the time ofn all 3 of my cars.

b) If this doesn't work you can cut a radial groove (same direction as if you had spokes in the wheel) in the pad with a hacksaw in the middle of the pad. Cut down to within about 1 or 2mm of the backing plate. Some good pads already have a radial groove or cut in the middle of the pad for this reason.

c) Chamfer the leading edge of the pads (the short side) so the angle of incidence with disk is around 45 degrees. Just grind or cut the corner off the leading edges (just about 5 mm usually).

These will not inhibit the performance of your brakes and are standard Porche approved remedies.

Last edited by Aussiblue; 08-28-2003 at 04:17.
Aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 04:38   #8 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Also see here http://www.delphi.com/pdf/sae/1999-01-0142.PDF for a bit of science on the matter.
Old 08-29-2003, 03:33   #9 (permalink)

again thanks all for your responses
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes