Brakes - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2001, 21:18   #1 (permalink)

Brakes

Can anyone other AU XR6 owners tell me what kind if Klms their getting from their brakes?
I have a manual and replaced the front pads at 30k and now the dealer wants to relace front and rear rotors at 50k. I haven't looked at them myself yet but this does not seem right to me
ourxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2001, 22:35   #2 (permalink)
Anbo

50k does sound a bit soon. I thought you would get at least 70k out of a rotor. The stock Ford pads are quite hard as they contain a high degree of metal & hence chew through the rotors faster. You are better off with a softer low dusting pad from Bendix or similar.

Also, if you do need new rotors you might consider going for DBA Longlife ones. I've heard they are quite good and relatively cheap. You can buy them online on the AutoSpeed web site. Here's a direct link to the page:

http://www.autospeed.com/cgi-bin/browse.cgi?category=897&

Regards

Andrew
Old 10-19-2001, 13:24   #3 (permalink)

I brought my EF wagon (also a manual)with around 70thou on the clock. At that service I was told there was around 5mm left on the pads. At 90thou I had both front and back pads replaced and rotors machined. I would also agree that 50thou sounds a bit early especially for the rears.

All the best

Paul B
xr6wgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 16:09   #4 (permalink)
paul

Better off replacing with D.B.A's for just over $200 you can get the slotted one's.
Drilled and slotted tend to crack and are more expensive..
On a performance car machining discs is not realy the go, "my opinion"!!.How can they work better by taking metal out.Almost like putting retreads on..Almost!!
Old 10-21-2001, 02:28   #5 (permalink)

EBC now sell cross drilled brake discs which if thier pads are anything to go by, they should be pretty good also...
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2001, 09:47   #6 (permalink)

Thanks guys
Pulled the wheels off and had a look yesterday....I reckon their still good for another 10k...Then I might try the D.B.A.s
ourxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2001, 12:14   #7 (permalink)
Officially Bored with 347

Well actually paul the reason you machine discs is to get the surfaces perfectly flat & removes any glazing which aids in bedding in the new pads, if it wasnt done the pads wear unevenly & you can feel vibrations thru the pedal. Ever seen discs with new pads when theyre not "skimmed"?
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2001, 18:29   #8 (permalink)
paul

svo 302: totaly agree but you must say for $200 bux[for better brakes] doing it yourself is not bad.By the way it was $100 for the two if I used std dba's..Oh & the seals are not supplied..$6 ea.
Old 10-21-2001, 23:00   #9 (permalink)

No probs paul... Im actually running DBA's Drilled & slotted rotors on the front & love em!!!!! been there for 3 yes read that "THREE" years & only have just changed the pads can honestly say got 70 thou out of em & disc's were skimmed & still have shi* loads of meat left... Ya Gotta Love That !!!!
Old 10-21-2001, 23:02   #10 (permalink)

BTW ourxr6 the easiest way to tell is measure the disc thickness im pretty sure minimum thickness is 19mm
Cheers
Brett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes