Ford Forums banner

Brakes are squealin'.....

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  loxxr6 
#1 ·
Now, I'm not the brightest bulb in the E-Series shed.

Every time I go to brake, it squeals from the front, and the heavier I brake, it stops.

My step-dad suggested to me that I need to replace the brake pads and get the discs machined. Our engineer at work suggested to clean dust out of it. I checked underneath it Monday and it does look dusty, but I was greasing up the rubbers in the suspension to stop Squeak number 1.

Any thoughts....???? :idk:

G
#3 ·
If it is a squealing noise, just change the pads and see how it goes..

If it is a metal to metal noise, (Red: really loud and screeching), most likely, the pads are down to metal, and scraping against the rotors. This could require machining of rotors, and new pads..

The rotors shouldn't need machining if it's just the pads.. Do you get any vibrations when u brake over 120km/hr?? If so, they could need machining...

#4 ·
the discs could also be glazed, they might have an almost mirror finish to them thats why they squeek, get some really gritty sand paper and try to sand them to a dull finish on both sides of the disc but make sure you blow out the little filings or use brake cleaner, take of your calippers when doing this i dont know how good brake cleaner is for pads. you can also scrape your pads on some concrete to give it a more gritty feel.

Ehab

#5 ·
EFXR6_Yagz said:
If it is a squealing noise, just change the pads and see how it goes..

If it is a metal to metal noise, (Red: really loud and screeching), most likely, the pads are down to metal, and scraping against the rotors. This could require machining of rotors, and new pads..

The rotors shouldn't need machining if it's just the pads.. Do you get any vibrations when u brake over 120km/hr?? If so, they could need machining...
It just squeals when I gently put on the brake. Anything harder and it stops.

I don't get any vibrations when I brake over 120km/hr. Just the squealing when I gently brake.

#6 ·
since the non asbestos pads are now all we can get our hands on, the dust build up is what i have found causes the squeaks.. When the rotor is cold(to stop warping it when it is hot) grap the hose and go to town on each corner.really getting in around the calliper and inside of the rotor. I recommend using the hose over blowing it out with compressed air as the dust goes everywhere including your lungs :(

#7 ·
I have a 99 AU xr6.

Rather than pay someone to do it like I normally would, I've thought about changing the brake pads myself. Since not having a later model car before how difficult is this?

Do I have to be careful coz the car has abs ? Or is it the same in theory to changing the pads on my previous cars eg XC, XB, etc.

How can I tell if the discs need machining too ???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.