Brembo Brakes - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2003, 06:57   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Brembo Brakes

I am just wondering if we have any forum members with Brembo optioned AU's that can provide some information on the longevity (or otherwise) of the brake pads.

This is not an idle question. After living with the T-Series premium brake option and it's "why would you want rotors to outlast the pads" braking system, I thought I would research the Brembo package.

A brief chat with my local service adviser left me stunned to discover that the front pads are $1034 and the rears $1115.40 (plus fitting) for the AU. Presumably as the BA package is much the same it won't change drastically.

Now I thought the exercise of replacing rotors along with the pads (which I have had to do every pad change on the TE50) was bad enough but at a parts cost of $858.35 (front) and $546.45 (rear) it starts to look cheap.

It is also reasonable to assume that the Texar T4000 pads being used are a fairly soft compound because in road going form you need a brake assembly that is quick to achieve operating temperature. Thus it is likely (to this simple mind anyway) that their life is not going to be close to the (already average) 30-35,000 km that the AU premium package has been providing but as this is guesswork I am throwing the question to those who have first hand experience.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Cheers
Russ
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2003, 21:49   #2 (permalink)
Let's Drive

Those pads better be made of gold for that price.
I think you will find much cheaper pads if you look around other than ford.
I run 4 spot AP racing callipers on my car and bought a set of Race pads for $395. These things are unbelievable, they nearly put you through the front window!! I wouldn't think you would spend more than $300 on High performance road pads.
Ring Race Brakes in Melbourne. They sell high performance road pads for around $150 exchange. These pads have never failed me on the road, put don't last more than 2 laps at Sandown. Race Brakes deal with all brake brands. Give em a ring and find out costs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes