Brembo Brakes - Are They Worth the $6k? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2003, 21:02   #1 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Brembo Brakes - Are They Worth the $6k?

I have noted (in one case particularly when a wombat and my Pursuit tried to share the same piece of road) that the fixed calipers of the Brembo brakes are susceptable to pad knock off. This is seen as a dropping of the brake pedal height during driving and in some cases can result in over 80mm of ADDITIONAL pedal travel from the normal position.

The driver therefore will have to stroke the pedal 80mm before getting any brakes whatsoever.

Anyhow, much to Ford's credit extensive testing was done on my car and a P build car. I am unaware of the final conclusions and results, however if your vehicle is also fitted with a slightly sick master cylinder (as mine was from new, and others seem to also have experienced) the pedal stroke can be enough to result in pedal reaching carpet before pads reach discs (get what I mean ).

Anyhow, I don't want to pre-empt FPV and Ford's actions, but I have to say something to anyone with these brakes for your safety.

You WILL experience this level of pad knock off on rougher roads, under sweeping corners, and within the speed limit. You do not have to be racing the car. You will suffer cumulative pad knock off even with cruise control set.

FPV have told me I can pump the brake pedal with my left foot regularly to ensure I keep reasonable pedal height. However, this of course means having to regularly reset cruise control and so on.

My understanding is that FPV will soon be placing a warning in the owners manual to make people aware of this level of pad knock off. However, for those of you with cars in your possession already I implore you to make yourself familiar with the pad knock off and what it means in the event of an emergency stop being required. You must also make sure anyone driving the car is made aware of this.

You have been told.

If you are buying one of these cars, I seriously suggest you question whether you need the Brembo stopping power (over the Premium Brakes) at the cost of this amount of pedal knock off. I know what my choice would be had I known.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2003, 21:24   #2 (permalink)

Re: Brembo Brakes - Are They Worth the $6k?

Although my car mightn't have done the Klms like yours,i have nothing but admiration for these Brembo brakes they certainly do the job when required to do so.

I don't know what you have done maybe run over a black cat,but i'm always reading the problems that you seem to have.
Cheers John

"FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria"
If you have an XR6, XR8, T-Series or FPV vehicle (GTs) why not join.
Motorsport,Show n Shine,Cruise days,Factory tours,Special events
FPV and XR Owners Club of Victoria

www.fpvxrclub.com
Extra's Leather seats, Sunroof, Premium Sound, Satellite Navigation, Reversing Sensors,
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 21:27   #3 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Are you saying you do not see this pad knock off? If so, that's contrary to what FPV have been telling me.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 21:55   #4 (permalink)
FFing Festive

Re: Re: Brembo Brakes - Are They Worth the $6k?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Pete
Are you saying you do not see this pad knock off? If so, that's contrary to what FPV have been telling me.
Yeah, let's here from a few more GT-P owners on this. There's enough Brembo equipped vehicles around now to get a reasonable consensus on quality.
Old 09-18-2003, 22:11   #5 (permalink)

The only issues that I have with the $6k tag on the Brembos is that they only cost Ford about an incremental $700 over the cost of the Premium Brake set up.
RICHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 23:20   #6 (permalink)
Beastmaster

Geez you have had a lot of car problems AP......
I would be getting a bit pissed off by now.

My GT-P has had no, zero, nada, nicht problems with anything. (As opposed to my previous AU2 which was the opposite)
18,500 km and no brake probs, no rattle, no oil usage (other than when it was new), very good fuel consumption (12-14l/100km), great tyre wear even with the visits to Benaraby and Willowbank/QLD Raceway.
Always run on Ultimate or Optimax, Mobile Oil (as per book) Nitrogen in tyres, warmed up in morning for 2 min before launching and absolutely bog stock standard everything.

I LURVE my GT-P

OK I lied about the problems, one day the sunglass holder wouldn't open but i think that was because the sunnys were stuck in wrongly.
Revelations 13:18
Here is wisdom.
Let him that hath understanding count the number of the BEAST:
for it is the number of a F6 Typhoon; and its number is 0217.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 00:16   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICHO
The only issues that I have with the $6k tag on the Brembos is that they only cost Ford about an incremental $700 over the cost of the Premium Brake set up.
I know FPV are in the buisness of making money but if this correct it is truly disgracfull that they can charge this sort of markup for these brakes and yet still send vehicles out the door which have faults be it in there design or they way they have been assembled. As for AP's particular car all he can really do is keep taking it back to the dealer and hope it gets rectifed on his forth, fifth or sixth visit.

I think the TE50 has the same pbr brakes as std on the GT, i may be wrong but anyway i find that their fine even after several highspeed braking stops, so around town their great. :s6:
Old 09-19-2003, 05:08   #8 (permalink)

Hi AP,

You sure have been lumbered with a dog of an FPV, l cant believe all the problems you have seen. l hope FPV are sincere about sorting it all out for you.

We have only had our GT for 10 days but l havent noticed any pad knock off, the Brembo's have been exceptional in my opinion. l will pay closer attention to it now having read your post but so far l havent noticed anything. In fact the car has been perfect to date, not even a rattle. Hope it stays this way!

Cheers
mondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 05:23   #9 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

Bloody hell AP, 80mm is a lot of travel in an emergency.
What else has FPV said they are gunna do?
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 05:27   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Geez you have had a lot of car problems AP......
I would be getting a bit pissed off by now.

My GT-P has had no, zero, nada, nicht problems with anything. (As opposed to my previous AU2 which was the opposite)
18,500 km and no brake probs, no rattle, no oil usage (other than when it was new), very good fuel consumption (12-14l/100km), great tyre wear even with the visits to Benaraby and Willowbank/QLD Raceway.
Always run on Ultimate or Optimax, Mobile Oil (as per book) Nitrogen in tyres, warmed up in morning for 2 min before launching and absolutely bog stock standard everything.

I LURVE my GT-P

OK I lied about the problems, one day the sunglass holder wouldn't open but i think that was because the sunnys were stuck in wrongly.
Yeah, Pete, After all it's only a frigging work ute!...What ya whinging about?....
Hang on...Sunglass holder?... Hmmmmm, WTF's that?
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes