Brembos on an XC - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2004, 22:46   #1 (permalink)

Brembos on an XC

Hi there

I'm looking to out a set of brembos disc brakes on my coupe. Front and rear with four piston calipers and drilled rotors. Is this compatible with the XC brake system?

Thanks
XC Coupe 78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2004, 01:11   #2 (permalink)

Re: Brembos on an XC

Sorry but I can't make head or tail of your post.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 11:19   #3 (permalink)
Another Ford Driver

I'm very much an amateur, but I think a 4 piston caliper setup on an XA would mean replacing pretty much every single component in the brake setup. You could probably find parts that would fit (for an incredibly huge price). This is, derived from my first year physics and some random technical reading, but for a 4 pot setup you'd need seriously big discs area to take advantage of the force applied by the calipers. To fit the big discs you'd need big wheels, and that's just the basics. Really for this sorta project ya need details, lotsa details, which of course is what you're looking for here. Well sorry for the useless post, but if you do manage to do this upgrade or something like it, I'd be very intesrested to hear about the results.

Good luck bro,
Neil
pandaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 11:22   #4 (permalink)
Another Ford Driver

whoops, that was meant to say XC not XA, hehehe.
Old 06-19-2004, 14:58   #5 (permalink)
Mercury Cougar Cool

Have a look in street machine - there was a company offering Brembo kits - give them a call. Also have a look at some of the articles in old editions of Australian Muscle cars on the Group C Falcons that Dick Johnson used to run. They had some upgraded braking systems

Rear should beeasiest part as it is 9". It might be easier to use the Hoppers Stoppers big brake kit for the front

Pandaman has only started to scratch the surface regarding cost - the biggest cost for a change over like that is the cost of getting it certified. Not many engineers want to touch brake conversions where the mounts have been changed
Old 06-19-2004, 17:50   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonbray
Have a look in street machine - there was a company offering Brembo kits - give them a call. Also have a look at some of the articles in old editions of Australian Muscle cars on the Group C Falcons that Dick Johnson used to run. They had some upgraded braking systems

Rear should beeasiest part as it is 9". It might be easier to use the Hoppers Stoppers big brake kit for the front

Pandaman has only started to scratch the surface regarding cost - the biggest cost for a change over like that is the cost of getting it certified. Not many engineers want to touch brake conversions where the mounts have been changed
Yes the Group C's do have some nice calipers. The front brakes will have to be very serious before it is worthwhile upgrading the rears.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 02:31   #7 (permalink)
Another Ford Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonbray
the biggest cost for a change over like that is the cost of getting it certified. Not many engineers want to touch brake conversions where the mounts have been changed
Yeah, must admit, I had completely forgotten about the engineers certificate. Damned good point, that would cost shiteloads.
Old 06-20-2004, 03:45   #8 (permalink)

Eng certs dont cost anywhere near as much as a set of brembos
Youre probably looking at 2-400$
C0V3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 02:03   #9 (permalink)

ah crap. I'm gonna be paying out my a-hole. Thanks God brakes are the last things i'm getting done.

I thought it would cost a bit. Id heard about the engineers certificate from someone else and thats what got me worried.

Thanks for the guidance everyone.
XC Coupe 78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 02:56   #10 (permalink)
4.1 XFLOW EFi Turbo

y dont u just get the brake upgrade from hoppers stoppers, 300mm rotors with twin piston calipers from around $990 have a look at their website www.hoppers.com.au
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes