Broke Lower Caliper Bolt! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2004, 01:51   #1 (permalink)

Broke Lower Caliper Bolt!

Hey all tried changing the pads today and i broke the lower caliper bolt! It didnt take much at all! I manged to get off the caliper, but the lower 1/4 of the bolt is stuck in the part where the caliper connects to!!

How do i remove it??? I tried for a bit with a screwdriver and hammer didnt work! Is there people i can call? Is it a viable option to change the part which the bolt is stuck in with another one? If so how much??

thanks
snavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2004, 04:11   #2 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Re: Broke Lower Caliper Bolt!

Get a very good centre punch and drill it about 1/2 dia then put an easyout in there..
Yes there are people out there..I know only up here in Sydney though..
They are not cheap !!!
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 07:54   #3 (permalink)

whats an easy out?
Old 10-20-2004, 14:36   #4 (permalink)

xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 01:23   #5 (permalink)

i tried something similar but i went through three new drill bits and i only got 2mm inside the bolt damn they are hard!

So i got advice to bring down the whole housing where the bolt is stuck in, i tried getting it off i got the bolt off the housing at the back of the rotor but i couldnt get the thread part to come off? Why? The other two at the base of the spring and the other where the steering shaft come off ok?? So i bashed it with a hammer, and stuffed the thread of in!!! That thread part looks like it can come off? Anyone replaced this before??

is it the ball joint of something?
Old 10-21-2004, 02:10   #6 (permalink)

ok to better descirbe it after getting a workshop manual is:

ABD told me to being in the whole knuckle assembly, so i took the bolts off the upper and lower ball joints and tie end rod. Got the thread off both the upper ball joint and tie end rod but the damn thread at the lower ball joint wont seperate?? I tried basking it with a hammer still wouldnt come off???

Why?? I think i stuffed the thread of the lower ball joint by bashing it with a hammer, so i might have to go get a new ball joint now!! how much one of these worth??
Old 10-21-2004, 02:40   #7 (permalink)
'90 EA-II Fairmont

try vice grips?
or as suggested, an easy out
Rosewood EAII Fairmont 02/90. MPFI 3.9L (formerly CFI), 4spd BTR Auto. Skyline geared 3.45g open center 28 spline 4 pinion differential & axles. 2 1/2" Cat Back Exhaust. King Super Low Springs. Sound: Equalization and amplification by Clarion; Head unit by Sony, Front, Rears and Sub by Pioneer. Planned mods - t5, Extractors, Painting Grey Strips and new front and rear bar.
SileNceR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 05:24   #8 (permalink)

Lower ball joint not that expensive - about the $30-$40 mark I think.
XWish Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 05:30   #9 (permalink)

Oh yeah.....to remove the ball joint, hammer in a tie rod separator between the ball joint and the lower side of the stub axle assembly. The remover looks like a big tuning fork - get it from any auto parts store. This method often stuffs the ball joint (as it buggers the rubber boot), but if the thread is already stuffed, you gotta buy a new one anyway.....
XWish Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 17:35   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SileNceR
try vice grips?
or as suggested, an easy out
whats an easy out? The tool that drills in reverse? Sort of like a cone shape? If so i bought them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes