Camber/Caster Kit - AUII - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2002, 20:49   #1 (permalink)
ChrisL

Question Camber/Caster Kit - AUII

I have just had a wheel allignment done and the tech advised me that he can't get the setup quite right. He gave me two options: 1. Get a camber/caster kit to fix the problem.
2. Put up with the car pulling left slightly.

I took the issue up with my Ford service tech who told me that this is quite common due to flex in the body etc and not covered at all by Ford.

Has anyone else had the same problem? Any suggestions on a good suspension shop in Brisbane?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2002, 21:07   #2 (permalink)
Yeah .... I am here

my auii xr8 front tyres were knackered on the inside (done 31'000km tho), and the place that replacd them said they got the allignment correct but not sure if it will hold, they said may need camber kit too.
XR8fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 16:31   #3 (permalink)
European Member

I just had the power steering rack replaced in my au2 xr6 (under warranty thank god). I looked at the ford invoice and saw 896.33. Glad I didn't pay. Anyway when they were doing the alignment they were unable to get it right so they fitted a camber/castor kit and what a difference. It tracks straight and there seems to be less tyre noise also (might just be me). If you need it get it.
sjwau2xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 18:48   #4 (permalink)
plonky

The camber/castor kit was on the old Tickford parts book and not a lot of the spare parts blokes knew they existed. The Falcon had preset camber/castor with adjustment only for toe in/toe out. Suggest you get the kit and have a wheel alignment done to specs. I don't know of anyone in QLD but I think Mick Webb from SVO Motorsport would ben the ideal person to speak to.
Old 09-30-2002, 20:38   #5 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

Get the KMAC camber/castor kit.
Old 10-01-2002, 05:47   #6 (permalink)

In most cases I have found that the main cause of tyre wear is simply incorrect toe in adjustment, Caster/Camber kits are often reccommended when not really neccessary. The Caster and Camber can be shimmed to fine tune settings, often this is all that is reqd. By using shims the setting are reasonably permanent. Adjustable bushes and kits can move, every fraction of a degree movement in Camber affects the toe in tenfold, causeing the tyres to wear out very quickly.
smokinjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 11:07   #7 (permalink)

Caster/camber kits.

It seems that 9 out of the 10 cars that suffer from premature tyre wear are the XR series cars as they have wider tyres. Standard falcons seem to suffer less with this problem. Apparently not only can you fit a caster/camber kit to achieve the correct alingment the T-Series range of cars use a different upper control arm to alleviate this problem!
low428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 17:48   #8 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

Shims are good, but because they are a pain in the butt to adjust not many places will do it. The kmac kits are the best as they're so easy adjust and if all done correctly wont cause any problems.
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 18:33   #9 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

I've heard 2 verdicts in regards to shim and KMac rachet caster/camber kits.

The shim ones are hard to adjust but once adjusted they are permanent. I've heard the kmac ones tend to go out of adjustment and the rachet isn't a strong mechanism and is prone to go out of adjustment as the teeth wears out in the rachet mechanism.

I thought the AUII had a castor/camber kit standard on the front for the XR's.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 23:03   #10 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

I work as a wheel alignment tech and agree with the above, the ratchet type ones tend to go out very easily, I never use them anymore, shims are a lot better, and yes, all Falcons can have the shims fitted as standard without even fitting a kit, it's just that sometimes you dont have enough thread on the bolts to put in enough shims so you need to fit the kit which has longer thread on the bolts, all XR6's and 8's I have come across have had the kits fitted as standard.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes