Camber kit, Do I need one? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2003, 21:05   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

Camber kit, Do I need one?

Hi,

Just got the AU serviced at MIDAs and they found that the front tyres were scrubbing out on the inside.

The guy suggested fitting a camber kit as a way to fix the issue. I called up a tyre place - Tempe tyres and they said it wouldn't make a difference as AU's have this problem of wearing on the inside.

As usual - who the hell do you beleive? Is MIDAS tyring to do me up some business, does tempe tyres want me to scrub out more tyres and replace them more regulary than they need?

The AU is just a standard fotre but now has the tickford suspension kit at the service.
TheBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2003, 21:50   #2 (permalink)
Australian BA XR6 Falcon

Ask Midas for the camber reading, they must have it if they say you need the kit.

then check it against the factory spec.

I get the same thing. Service centre says get kit (and he is a friend!), take it for new tyres and they say no, camber/caster is fine irregular tyre wear was due to incorrect toe.
Tyres are wearing fine!!
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 00:28   #3 (permalink)

ive got a camber kit on mym car and it didnt make a difference to tyre wear until i got my mate to do a proper alighnment and fix up the toe, now it handles brilliant and tyre scrubbing has gone its a worthwhile investment for handling as well
WILD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 05:22   #4 (permalink)
Fairmont Ed

camber kit on my ed helped tyre wear coz the wheels were sittin on an angle rubbin the sides the camber kit helped this
Nicksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 05:28   #5 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

I have a camber kit for my NB but it kept loosing its cambers settings and killing tyres until I fitted a strut brace (and sump guard which I think help firm up the front end as well) which stopped the flex in the fenders that the A arms attach to. However, the AU is meant to have solved these problems with its improved front end.
Old 04-26-2003, 07:53   #6 (permalink)
rod

the camber & caster on the front end is adjustable as well as toe adjustment
it is done by fitting or removing shims that are behind the upper control arm pivots
they are a little hard to see as thay are inbetween the upper arm pivot bracket & the strut tower
the ford shims are from memory in sizes of 1.4mm, 3.0mm & 5.0mm
have a look on the inside of the engine bay where the pivot bolts run through the tower if you have thread hanging through the nut you have room to make a positive camber adjustment, if you need to go more negative on the camber you will need to remove shims evenly from the front & back pivots
let me know what the reading are that you have & if you have shims fitted & also if you have any thread on the inside & i will give you your best options
regards
rod
Old 04-26-2003, 07:54   #7 (permalink)
rod

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by rod
the camber & caster on the front end is adjustable as well as toe adjustment
it is done by fitting or removing shims that are behind the upper control arm pivots

they are a little hard to see as thay are in between the upper arm pivot bracket & the strut tower

the ford shims are from memory in sizes of 1.4mm, 3.0mm & 5.0mm

have a look on the inside of the engine bay where the pivot bolts run through the tower if you have thread hanging through the nut you have room to make a positive camber adjustment, if you need to go more negative on the camber you will need to remove shims evenly from the front & back pivots

let me know what the reading are that you have & if you have shims fitted & also if you have any thread on the inside & i will give you your best options
regards
rod
rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 08:44   #8 (permalink)

how much should a camber kit cost?? for an el xr6
XRBURNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 08:55   #9 (permalink)
rod

the factory ford one is around the $100.00 mark from memory
regards
rod
Old 04-26-2003, 10:08   #10 (permalink)
mmmmm....kookyfudge

definatley get a camber kit on an AU i have one fitted on mine on advice from the forums as well as the guy who did it and various other sources.

kooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes