Castor/Camber Kit? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2004, 04:54   #1 (permalink)
Mic

Castor/Camber Kit?

Hey Guys my steering alignment is terrible on my 1997 ford falcon xr6 and the inside of the front tires are getting chewed out. So I took it to Pedders to see if anything could be done to fix it and found out that it needs new rackends (are they hard to replace?), new radius bushes (the easy part of the job) and a camber/castor kit to straighten the front end up (because apparently it cant be adjusted any further). I was wondering if people had had any experience with these kits and could recommend something for me. Thanks Mic
Mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2004, 05:38   #2 (permalink)

Re: Castor/Camber Kit?

if you car is std height (XR Height) then you dont RRREEAAALLLYY need a camber kit. if its superlow then i would suggest getting one.

but, just be careful what pedders say, i went in for a $14 18 point safety check like 2 years ago, and got a $1400 quote for stuff that was wrong. I admit my springs were screwed, and thats about it. they also denyed the fact that my power steering had been flushed and serviced, until i showed a reciept from Ford!!!

supposedly my steering rack was fu(t, well its still sweet. they also said my bushes in the front and back needed replaceing, when they had been replaced a couple of months earlier.

94 ED Futura
PROUD TQE OPERATOR
13.822 @ 99.67MPH - Willowbank 05/08/2006
OED666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 05:44   #3 (permalink)
rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic
Hey Guys my steering alignment is terrible on my 1997 ford falcon xr6 and the inside of the front tires are getting chewed out. So I took it to Pedders to see if anything could be done to fix it and found out that it needs new rackends (are they hard to replace?), new radius bushes (the easy part of the job) and a camber/castor kit to straighten the front end up (because apparently it cant be adjusted any further). I was wondering if people had had any experience with these kits and could recommend something for me. Thanks Mic

if the car hasent been droped on it's gut's then you should be able to align it as it is, if you carnt align it then i wouls expect to find something Bent

regards
rod
Old 04-29-2004, 19:07   #4 (permalink)

Ah take ur car somewhere besides pedders they suck. i went in for a 14 dollar safety check up as well and again came out with a 2 grand quote. same things need steering rack, all new bushes, and they refuse to do an alignment....
EAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 19:24   #5 (permalink)
Officially Bored with 347

K-Mac cam/caster kit nuff said

Member of the "TKTDSGM " Group..
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 19:24   #6 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

Yes it seems to be protocol for pedders to over estimate the crap outta your car for them to generate business. Its good scare tactics for their advantage also. You dont have to go with what they say, its not the be all and end all of inspections. Id be getting an independant quote from somewhere else.

Plus from what Ive heard, the EF-L XR's all came out with castor/camber kits from factory. I might be wrong on this but as everyone else said, unless its dumped on its guts then it doesnt need it.

And yes, I was also told my rack ends were badly worn, but considering I have a brand new steering rack and power steering pump fitted 4 months before with 3 year warranty, I wasnt gonna give pedders the satisaction of bending me over for another 2k of unecessary things I didnt need doing. I ended up doing most of the easy things myself.

Reason why I went to them in the first place was to confirm my suspicions about certain areas of my suspension. Some of the things they said needed attention were utter crap. The only thing I need is new front shockers as the ones I have in there now may have started to collapse and leak. I only know this beacuse of the clunking noise I get when excellerating hard or cornering to the right.

You end up knowing all these things by experience in the end and getting fed up of getting ripped off.

my 2c
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 19:25   #7 (permalink)
Abuser of Charvels

Pedders love to tell you need all new bushes everywhere.....beware!!

Venom BA XR8 - 5spd - Leather - Premium Sound - 18"s - King Springs-SSL/SL - DBA Slotted Rotors & Ferodo pads
D.N.A.
FPV XR Owners Club ACT
Charvel/Jackson Guitars
Genebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 01:59   #8 (permalink)
Mic

Cool thanks for your input guys. I had a look over the car myself today and the rack ends are a little worn (the car has done 250K kms so what do you expect!) but nothing to worry about (it certainly wont fail rego because of them). The radius bushes could probably be replaced (other bushes on the front end have already been replaced) so I think I will do them and I think I will take it to another suspension place to get a 2nd opinion on fixing the steering alignment (cause it has really made a mess of the inside of the front tires!).
Mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 03:29   #9 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Every time I talk to somebody who's had a quote from Pedders, they've been told they need a new rack when in fact they don't. One bloke got a $2k quote to fix what turned out to be loose wheel bearings!
Needless to say, I don't deal with or trust Pedders.

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 04:15   #10 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

Like I said, its a sales tactic to fool unsuspecting people. They probably know it doesnt need it but to scare people into thinking their car is gonna fall apart works for them. I dont agree with it, but unless people are educated into what needs to be done and what doesnt, they are the ones who are gonna get caught everytime.

Its daylight robbery for the noob.
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes