Changing rear lower trailing arms & 1 upper - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2004, 12:47   #1 (permalink)
Wannabe mechanic :)

Changing rear lower trailing arms & 1 upper

Alright, in a few hours I'm dropping my car off for a service (god I hope it doesn't need anything major doing to it..)

My mechanic is getting me reco trailing arms (he replaced one of the upper ones for RW, so he'll get me two lower, and the other upper), so I'll have to install them in the next few days.

When I did the springs, I didn't see any major pitfalls in doing the trailing arms, I'm assuming that if you do one at a time, the diff doesn't move around too much? Like, it would be a one-man job?

Also, some of the bolts (front bolts on upper arms for instance) go right into the body of the car.. I assume the nuts they go into are welded onto the body? Like, I wont have to remove trim inside the car and hold a nut in place or anything?

Any other pitfalls anyone has had with putting new/reco arms in?

Thanks

James
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2004, 19:42   #2 (permalink)
EMW ??? Whats missing ?

Re: Changing rear lower trailing arms & 1 upper

if u undo one arm at a time there easy as... The botls go right through the lower rail section, the nuts arnt welded on the other side and u need to hold them to undo... The biggest hastle u may have is with the drivers side lower arm front bolt.. It hits the muffler , can be a bugger to get out enuf to remove the arm :>
INJECTED250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 03:09   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

It's pretty straight forward James. You'll know exactly what needs to be done when you get under the car.

Ring spanners come in handy when doing jobs like these

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 11:22   #4 (permalink)

Good stuff.. I shall be installing these today after I pick the car up from the mechanics, I guess :)

Next job after I get these fitted: Swaybars!! Gonna get some yummy Whiteline swaybars..

30mm Heavy duty swaybar for the front, and the 24mm swaybar for the rear.. should convert my car from a nervous understeerer into a crazy oversteerer that makes the tight hilly corners feel like a perfectly straight freeway :):)
Old 07-14-2004, 17:05   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Just out of interest, how much are the trailing arms costing you?

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 19:33   #6 (permalink)

Ohh man, the new nylothane bushses are soooo ****ing stiff.. getting the bolts through is damn near impossible.. one upper done, 1 lower almost done (but I'm totally stuck) and two to go :(

I'll get the exact price soonish, but it was about $200 all up I think.. Plus $100 deposite which my Mechanic payed for me (he gets it back when I bring in the oldies, which I might get around to doing tommorow if I'm lucky :(:()

Update: Now I have done 3 and the 4th is being a total bitch, and I'm losing a lot of blood from all my knuckles Remind me never to be a mechanic, I don't think I'm made for it

Update again: I've now dropped my car back on the ground, with one of the lower rear trailing arms half unbolted, because it simply will NOT go in.. hopefully if I inch it forwards a little in drive, it will shift enough that the bolt can slip in... total ****ing bullshit :(
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes