Check your Wheel Nuts! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2003, 06:06   #1 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

Check your Wheel Nuts!

Well today I got a bit of a fright to say the least.

I was driving the work ute to the lease land we have to check on the cattle. A few km from home I was coming down a hill and around a corner. I felt the ute sway slightly in the rear which was strange. I was going to stop to check I didnt have a flat tire. Halfway down the hill I heard a Clunk and then a scraping. The ute started pulling to the left towards the side of the road. The scarey thing was that there was a drop of about 15 m on that side of the road and no barrier. Then I noticed a tire roll past me . After I stopped the ute and got out.What had happened was basically the left rear tire came off the vehicle and the drum brake dug into the soft edge of the road. This caused it to vere to the left suddenly and it all caught me by surprise.
The tire had rolled off the road and into a paddock and actually hit the front of a tractor a guy was working on. I went down and got the tire and the guy offered to come up and lift the ute with a chain and his tractor. I had to get 1 wheel nut off each front tire and 2 off the other rear as the 6 that were on it were obviously gone for good.
The ute had been in to get a roadworthy and they guys had rotated the tires. I would have thought that they use a air ratchet to tighten the wheelnuts but obviously they worked loose. Anyway It served as a reminder not to be complacent and It also made me think about wheel spacers and why they are illegal.
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2003, 06:10   #2 (permalink)
No longer around

Far out man spooky stuff
MADNC_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 06:13   #3 (permalink)
Oxford Green AU

Re: Check your Wheel Nuts!

Gee, mate that would definately be an experience! The guys must've had the settings wrong on the gun.
Old 06-29-2003, 06:47   #4 (permalink)
FORD its a way of Life

1 of my friends was driving down one of the main streets and his left rear tyer fell off fell of his Mustain... N e to cut it short all it cost him was $5 to get the drum brake fix...
Old 06-29-2003, 06:49   #5 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

I was lucky that the only damage was to the stud holes on the rim. The Drum was fine despite running along the road at 110kph
Old 06-29-2003, 17:13   #6 (permalink)
Hanging Around

NEVER, EVER rely on a air ratchet (rattlegun) to tighten wheel nuts,
ALWAYS go around and check them by hand with a breaker bar or wheel brace, Regardless of brand of air ratchet.

Why?

1) They can be too loose, and the above will happen

2) They will be too tight, and when you get a flat tyre, you or your chikky have no chance of getting them loose with the pissy bar that is supplied with the vehicle, either that or you will break the weld on a normal X wheel brace when jumping on it trying to loosen the nuts.

9psi EB
Old 06-29-2003, 17:44   #7 (permalink)
E-Series wagon owner

man scaryy stuff ill have to check the nuts on my ea now
mad_ea_spac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 17:44   #8 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Overtaken by your tyre, did it get booked for speeding ..........

I think they stuffed up with the air gun there, I have worked in a servo before, and undone, and done up more wheels then I can remember with the air gun, and none ever were loose or fell off, but I do agree, after you get your car back, loosen them yourself and do them up again so in an emergency you can remove the wheel nuts, and will give you piece of mind they are done up tight.

Not that todays tyres seem to go flat as much as the used to, so never really have to change a tyre anymore.

Dellboy999

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 19:51   #9 (permalink)

Thats some pretty scary stuff....... especially going 110kms. If you went into get a roodworthy and they rotated your tyres and stuff, you can sue them for negligence, they should know how to safely secure tyres to a vehicle, air racket or not.

Still, I guess It goes to show that u can never be too careful and double checking can never hurt but most definately can save you.
Old 06-29-2003, 19:56   #10 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Maybe, just maybe if the other wheels were tight, they did them up by hand till the touched the rim, but forgot to air gun them ?

Dellboy999

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes