chopping superlows? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2004, 20:25   #1 (permalink)

chopping superlows?

hey guys my wagon isnt low enuf at the front with superlows. would it be alrite to chop one or two coils off these? how much extra would this lower it? i am thinking this would be better than chopping standard springs because they are stiffer. also do i just chop it with an angle grinder directly inline with the original end but just one or two coils lower? any help would be much appreciated.
joelburden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2004, 21:28   #2 (permalink)

Re: chopping superlows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelburden
hey guys my wagon isnt low enuf at the front with superlows. would it be alrite to chop one or two coils off these? how much extra would this lower it? i am thinking this would be better than chopping standard springs because they are stiffer. also do i just chop it with an angle grinder directly inline with the original end but just one or two coils lower? any help would be much appreciated.
cutting spring is a really bad idea

go and buy ultralows?
greenieofdubbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 21:32   #3 (permalink)
BOFH

whenever I hear the words chop and springs in the same sentance I cringe.
It is dangerous (they wont seat properly), illegal and unroadworthy. Dont do it.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 21:54   #4 (permalink)

have u guys actualy had expeirience doing it or just hear bad things? why wont they seat properly and what is so dangerous about it?
Old 12-21-2004, 21:55   #5 (permalink)
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelburden
have u guys actualy had expeirience doing it or just hear bad things? why wont they seat properly and what is so dangerous about it?
The fact that it is unroadworthy is good enough for me.

45,000km service coming up - and i'll be asking for a sizable list of fixes:
* Gearbox (3rd time)
* Steering click (5th time)
* Brake Shudder (2nd time, and has the applied "Fix")
* etc...
ianmcginley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 22:02   #6 (permalink)

so how much lower than superlows are ultra lows and do they cost the same?
Old 12-21-2004, 22:04   #7 (permalink)

I have seen bad things happening. One VH commy I saw with cut springs (VERY LOW) went over a bump at speed and the springs basically fell out - there just wasnt enough travel in them.

The problem with the cut springs IMO is not so much the cutting itself, but the fact that it is usually dont by people who dont really know what they are doing so they botch the job. Personally I would rather drive around in a car that is a little higher than i want that I know is safe than have my car dumped wicked sik low and potentially unsafe. Up to you though, at least you are asking questions.
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 22:40   #8 (permalink)

thanks guys i think i will enquire about ultralows. cheers
Old 12-22-2004, 00:02   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

The thing with springs is they have different tensions in different areas of the spring, the middle of the spring doesn't have the same spring rate as the ends. Chopping the ends off ****s the spring rate right up.

Either get ultra lows or get the superlows compressed, or better yet, get shortened shockers.
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 01:15   #10 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

The spring will seat correctly when you refit them, providing you make the cut directly inline with the end of a coil, i.e cut a full coil (or dare I say two) but make sure it's directly inline. The problem is they may fall out depending on how much you cut them. Springs falling out are more common on commodore rear ends though.

I don't recommend As psycho chicken said, the spring rate will be fcuked and it will also ride shithouse. Not to mention it will make your car unroadworthy.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes