ChuBBz needing advice on SHOCKS... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2002, 09:21   #1 (permalink)
Wanting 5 Gears, Damnit!

ChuBBz needing advice on SHOCKS...

I lowered my car a long time ago without buying Shocks...
(tsk tsk tsk) i know very stupid me!
anyways.. im looking to buy shocks in the next week or so.. and was wondering would i need lower-strut Shock Absorbers? Say of the Munro GT gas type...???

Edit: Must also add.. that im lowering the back end 1 more inch closer to the ground (compressing springs) .. but only with the Shocks fitted. - its should be around 9 cm off the ground at that stage.

What Shockers do you people use for lowered vehicles.. how much? hows the ride like? too stiff?

Heres a pic......

ChuBBz

p.s. MY 200th POST!!!!

Old 07-08-2002, 09:37   #2 (permalink)

Yes!
Lowered shocks are a necessity!

As for which brand I guess it depends on how much you got to spend!
Bilsteins are great! Ride is actually as 'soft' if not 'softer' than the stock 9yo shagged Monroes that was in there.
Still pretty firm though:bhrmmm2:

Handling is great, back end grips alot more than before, and it isnt even lowered yet:s3

Most people also swear by Konis

With a proper lowered shock, the ride will actually improve than what youve got now, as the shock will be working in its optimal 'range'....
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 12:32   #3 (permalink)

Re: ChuBBz needing advice on SHOCKS...

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuBBz
Edit: Must also add.. that im lowering the back end 1 more inch closer to the ground (compressing springs) .. but only with the Shocks fitted. - its should be around 9 cm off the ground at that stage.
If you got the money go with Gabriel Shockers...They are a 4 wheel Drive shocker & are very hard....If on the budget you can try pedders sports riders which are half the price of gabriel struts...As for "Compressing springs" there is no such a thing because (I've been told this buy several reputable spring companies) the spring can't be heated & compressed because if you did that your car would automaticly become ilegal because your are not allowed to modify and suspension components by heating...etc which means the only thing they do when they say "compress or reset" is they chop a coil off the spring and try to round it off so that it looks normal (this has happend to my mate who paid for the so called reset springs & got the chop job)... This will also make your car ilegal so be carefull. I've asked about that too so in the end I've had to pay $300 for a custom pair of springs (rears) to suit my needs... I know this sounds expensive but it's the only way to do it properly

cheers
I8AHSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 16:27   #4 (permalink)
XR Wannabee

Ive got KYB shocks on my lowered EF and couldn't be happier, they are well priced too.

95' EF Falcon Series II
Spinksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 21:53   #5 (permalink)
Dreamer

I8AHSV: it is possible to reset a spring by heating it. Theres a few companies that heat the spring fully, straighten it out, and then load it up into a shorter spring. Tis is the same method they use to create the original spring, so the workshops you have talked to should take a long hard look at themself, and decide wether they should still be in the suspension business.

But yes a lot of them do chop the spring to make it lower. In the falcon this is safe as its a coil over shock design, so the coil isnt going to pop out of place when you go over a bump. In a commodore the rear suspension is different, where the chock just sits in there, if its chopped, and the shock isnt matched to it, its quite possible for the coil to pop out when you are driving over a bump. The holdens coil btw isnt even bolted in. its slotted in, and sits there, oh the quality.

but chubbz, i would say go KYB if your on a budget, they are pretty stiff, and are well priced, i have them in my car. But if you have money, go for koni adjustables, and set them to be stiffer.

BTW, dont lower the car anymore, it'll just look stupid, and be hard to drive around. and it will also make your car handle worse being so low.
South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 22:16   #6 (permalink)

9cm is illegal anyway so don't s'pose it matters much whether your springs are legal or not eh???? Konis if you can afford them. KYBs if you want a really good budget priced gas shock. Gabriels or Monroe Gas if you want to stiffen the ride up - these would be my last option as your springs should be up to the job of doing that - but as there seems to be some conjecture about your springs then maybe if they don't turn out right you might end up going this way.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 22:24   #7 (permalink)
Wanting 5 Gears, Damnit!

Thnx heaps for the input Martin, I8AHSV, Spinksy n South.

i was actually looking at Munro GT gas shocks... ?? Do people get them these days ??? they were originally recommended to me as being "The Best"

I'll have a look into the KYB's.. i must say.. ive never heard of them.

With a full load in my car... the wheel arch sits nicely on the rear tyres - thats how ive been wanting it since i got it lowered (it looks really good South). But poor ride quality.
Hemmmmm... yeah i think i've decided against lowering it furthermore. Thnx for the advice guys.

Someones also told me about some kind of lower-strut shocks that, once fitted, bring the car lower to the ground.. Are they just having a pull at my leg?

P.S any idea of prices for KYB lower shock range? or anything else .. like the munros/pedders/Bilsteins/etc.

I heard the Pedders Sports Ryder is WAAYYYY too stiff. (??) compared to others.
Old 07-08-2002, 22:33   #8 (permalink)
Wanting 5 Gears, Damnit!

Thnx t3man... KYB's are sounding alright... I'll have to check them out this week.
Old 07-08-2002, 22:52   #9 (permalink)

I have Bilstein in front of my Falc, Monroe (GT?) in rear. I had Koni in front for a while but one sh!t itself and it was going to cost too much to rebuild them. Suspension guy recommended against them (Koni) said they are too hard. Bilstein available from http://www.quadrantsuspensions.com.au/ - cost $420pr (EB front) 2 years ago. Monroe equivalents are about half that price.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 02:59   #10 (permalink)

Hi all,

I changed my shocks front and rear about 12 months ago - I looked around and also asked Forums and finally chose the Monroe GT Gas. All up price was around the $450 mark. I like the way it handles etc but the car is as built Standard springs etc Monroe supply the original shocks to Ford/Tickford and the GT Gas is slightly up-spec from them.

Cheers

Paul B
XR6WGN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes