Coil-Over Questions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2003, 05:31   #1 (permalink)
Are we there yet?

Coil-Over Questions

Hi all

I have been getting prices on some coil-overs for my Falcon, and was just wondering, because I forgot to ask the shop. Do coil-overs use the original springs, as well as the thin springs that are wrapped around the shock?
I wanted to know this, because if I buy lowered springs/coil-overs, I can buy them 2 inches lower, then be able to lower the car with the coil-overs another 3 inches? Hope you follow me

Thanks
95 EF Fairmont 5.0 - Heritage Green - 4 Speed auto with AU S5 - 3.23LSD - 17x8" LWT Wheels - King Superlows - 76mm Cobra MAF - 65mm throttle - BPT Underdrive Pulley Kit - 3" Mandrel-bent Lukey exhaust - Tinted Windows - MP3 CD player - White faced dials.

117rwKw - 15.47@89.9MPH
Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2003, 05:38   #2 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

The springs are integrated as part of the total coil-over unit - they do not use the original springs as well.

AU1 XR8 Auto 147.9 rwkw (approx 215 fwkw)

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto
17s, Pacemakers, 3" Intake & Pod filter (The Family Hack)

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)
JC-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 07:10   #3 (permalink)
Red-i

JCV8, you have height adj. suspension don't you? could you give me some details on your set up and price and opinion please, looking at getting myself a set.
Old 05-08-2003, 19:09   #4 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

Red-i - The setup I got was King Spring Coil Over Shocks. These are the ones that King Springs supply to the V8 Brutes racing series. VenomXR also just ordered a set of these. He couldn't get them in Melbourne, so got them through my supplier in Canberra who then shipped them back to him. You are looking at around $1400-$1500 for front and rears (fronts only are height adjustable), plus fitting (about 3 hours labour). They are not cheap, but are worth it in my opinion.

Please note that the fronts are suitable for any AU Falcon (and possibly others too), but the backs are suitable only for the live rear axle (not IRS). King Springs are looking at making another batch of IRS ones, but would need a known quantity before producing them.

Contact details for supply of these are:

Revell Steering Fyshwick ACT. Ask for Ian Moon. Ph 02 6280 5610. Tell him John referred you.

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)
Old 05-08-2003, 19:59   #5 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

The rears are actually a matched rear spring/shock to go with the front adjustable coil-overs. It's due to the live axle setup that a rear coil-over is not suitable without re-engineering the back end. IRS is a different story though, and coil-overs for these can be bought.
Old 05-08-2003, 20:00   #6 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

In Sydney East Coast suspensions is also a supplier 02 95451044. Ask for David Falson. We're trying to set up this stuff for the utes and trial with different shock rates.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 20:04   #7 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

www.hot-bits.com.au is another supplier, but quoted me $1900 for the kit without telling me if it was a live-axle kit or IRS, despite the fact I'd asked!
Old 05-08-2003, 20:48   #8 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

OK, so I gather King Springs are marketing these. As they are a dedicated spring manufacturer (as far as I know) I assume they are using someone else shock/struts to which they fit their springs. Anyone know who is supplying these to Kings?

Or have I got it totally screwed up?
Old 05-08-2003, 21:09   #9 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

When contacting Kings, they themselves directed me to Hot Bits so I'm under the assumption Kings are phasing out AU coil-over suspension or it's the same stuff rebranded. No idea who are the strut supplier though.
Old 05-08-2003, 21:19   #10 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

Raptor - you are correct. King do make and sell springs. For the coil-overs, they get an overseas supplier to build the strut inserts (shocks) to King specs. The shocks are very similar design to Bilsteins (but not so similar as to infringe on copyright).

These shocks are tested every 2nd/3rd/4th weekend in the V8 Brutes series (do I keep saying that - I think it's important as it shows that they are quality products). Note to King Springs: Where's my commission? LOL! Now that I've made that little joke, I better say that I do not work for any suspension/mechanical place, nor do I work for King Springs, or Ford or any other business connected to the motor vehicle industry!

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes