Cortina Susspension - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2005, 04:52   #1 (permalink)

Cortina Susspension

Hi all

Recently I feel like my TE corty is handling real strange, its still on stock suspension. The rear right sometimes sits lower than the rear left, would this be shocks or springs causing this problem?

If I were interested in lowering the whole car, can I bum some suspension off the wreckers, and is 1979ish falcon suspension the same?
Pneumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2005, 01:56   #2 (permalink)

Re: Cortina Susspension

ITS SPRINGS shocks do not affect the height and NO falcon and cortina don't run anything that is the same. as for the wreckers good luck just beware you wont realy know what your going to get and stuffed if you think that you will get your money back if don't work CHEERS GREG
venomXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 13:46   #3 (permalink)
All crossed up

I have a TC Cortina and I too have experienced the right side sitting lower than the left. The first and easiest trick to try is an effort to determine if the problem is merely spring sag. Over time springs can lose some of their tensile strength, so try swapping the the left and right rear springs over. Its not a permanent solution I know, but it will let you know whether or not its the second problem.

Since thr Cortina is a Pommy designed crap box, it was only ever meant to have an asthmatic 4 cyl in it (they even had 1.2Lt carby fours). That was until the top blokes at Ford Australia dropped a dirty big 6 in it. They can usually handle a 6 in normal conditions, but work it or give the car a hard time and the chassis can twist. This is what has happened to my car (mine has a 351W in it).

If I swap my springs over it sits level, then if I go for a drive it sits crooked again. Not much you can do short of putting a worked Honda engine in it and flogging the ass off it (they rotate the opposite dirrection, would need a new 'box and diff too unless you want to go really really fast in reverse. lol.)

Hope this helps.
DOG20L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 01:12   #4 (permalink)

PEDDERS do a spacer that sits on top off the spring to overcome this problem give your local branch a call CHEERS GREG
venomXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes