Creaky xh xr6 front suspension? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2002, 13:41   #1 (permalink)

Creaky xh xr6 front suspension?

I've noticed after just buying my xr6 xh ute the front right suspension makes a god awful creaking noise when going over speed bumps, up kerbs etc... I've seen a few falcon utes that drive past also have creaky suspensions. Is it a common problem?

Before I go spraying a whole can of WD40 over the suspension, is there any specific part that makes the noise? Is it worth taking it down to a suspension place to get it sorted or is it something I've just got to live with?

BTW, the rear leaf springs don't make any noise.

Cheers,
Eddy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2002, 16:12   #2 (permalink)
Powered by HAD

Gday Eddy,

My XH van makes abit of noise in the front suspension too. I can't remember if it was there before I lowered it though...

Anyhow I suspect the creaking noise on mine to be coming from the rubber bushes where the top wish-bone thingo bolts to the shock tower. If this is the source, I dont reckon the creaking noise would be limited to the XH's since the sedans had the same front suspension setup.

If you have any luck, I'd like to know how you fixed it too.
Old 11-03-2002, 16:16   #3 (permalink)
SM

Spring saddles are often the cause of that squeaking sound, had them replaced quite often on my XG.
Old 11-03-2002, 17:22   #4 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

Quote:
Originally posted by XR8SAM
Spring saddles are often the cause of that squeaking sound, had them replaced quite often on my XG.
XH's don't have spring saddles like in your old XG though XR8SAM. They have the EA-EL SLALS front suspension.

It could be anything but I'd start with a squirt of WD40 on the sway bar bushes - see if that does the job then work your way through from there. Note though a squirt of this type of stuff will only be temporary and will actually attract dirt/dust/grime and create quicker wear.
Old 11-03-2002, 18:16   #5 (permalink)
magoo

I have a 1998 EL xr6 sedan and it has the same problem.
It has been like it for nearly 2 years now but it has been getting worse.
I am thinking of putting a camber castor kit (K-Mack) and new bushes all the way through as this was the recomendation from Pedders Melb when the looked at it.
The quote was $1,300 with new springs and shocks.
This is a bit expensive for a noise so I am holding off for as long as possible at the moment.
I anyone has had this prob and got it fixed cheaper I would love to hear from you.
Old 11-03-2002, 18:52   #6 (permalink)
Powered by HAD

Quote:
Originally posted by RAPTOR
It could be anything but I'd start with a squirt of WD40 on the sway bar bushes - see if that does the job then work your way through from there. Note though a squirt of this type of stuff will only be temporary and will actually attract dirt/dust/grime and create quicker wear.
Hey Rob, how do you reckon a silicone type spray on the rubber bushes will go in comparrison to wd40? They dont seem to dry out after a short period of time... unlike wd40.
Old 11-03-2002, 19:08   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for you input guys:)

I've now tired the WD40 on various components, going for a quick drive after each spray. Now after using nearly half a bottle it still hasn't stopped.

Also, I got my friend to push down on the front right of the car while I stuck my mug under it to see if I could hear exactly where the noise was coming from and I now think it's the rubber bush so the WD40 might not penetrate enough to stop the friction between the bush and the metal bracket.

So I've come to my theoretical conclusion it's not a quick and dirty fix, now it's off to Pedders for advise and to see how much a pair of those fancy polyurithane bushes are. Hopefully it's a common problem and they will know exactly how to fix it!

I'll keep you guys updated:)
Old 11-03-2002, 19:34   #8 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

Quote:
Originally posted by AusXH
Hey Rob, how do you reckon a silicone type spray on the rubber bushes will go in comparrison to wd40? ......
Don't know.

I'm personally guilty of pulling the front sway bar off last weekend and using chassis grease on my REALLY dry and distorted rubbers to see if that would stop the ED squeaking - it has. Well what else could I do, all the shops were shut, it was a Sunday, and the car was already apart when I realised I should be tossing some new bits in. Maybe next time.
Old 11-03-2002, 21:30   #9 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

I work as a wheel alignment tech, 90% of the squeaks I hear on Falcons comes from the upper control arm, wishbone, at the inner end, the end where the rubber bushes and pivot are, dead easy to fix yourself, just get replacement bushes, Nolathane, can't remember the part no, and fit these. All you have to do is jack the front up, undo the four bolts on each strut tower, make damn sure you see and remember how many shims fall out of each mounting point, and the simply swing the whole wishbone out, rip out the old bushes and push in the new ones making sure you use heaps of the supplied grease.
Old 11-04-2002, 12:53   #10 (permalink)

Excellent, thanks Dakweed:)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes