Cut Springs??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2003, 02:42   #1 (permalink)
R.I.P S/C EBII Fairmont

Question Cut Springs???

My suspension is pretty bad at the moment, so consequently I plan to spend some decent $$$ on it next year. However, for the time being, is it possible, and not dangerous or illegal for that matter, to cut my rear springs so that my car is more level. Currently my rear sits far too high. I'm pretty certain that I have standard springs in front and rear, except my fronts have sagged a fair bit, to the point where they look more like lows. I eventually want superlows all round, but for the time being I want it to at least be the same height front and rear. Does anybody know how much someone would charge to do this, and secondly where in Perth I could get this done? I know of a girl who drives a XF that has cut springs, she suggested that I do this to mine.
j_biafra88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2003, 03:02   #2 (permalink)

Re: Cut Springs???

It is illegal & dangerous to cut the springs. No one should legally do it for you but you will always find someone who wants some money. I wouldnt recommend it.
Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 03:22   #3 (permalink)
cArSiK

get the springs 'reset' , dont know who would do it in your area but k-mac in sydey re-sizes your stock springs to whatever height you want...AFAIK its safer that just cut ones...

James
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 03:28   #4 (permalink)
Ford Nut

its illegal and unsafe and it makes your springs softer because there isnt as much spring to hold the weight. either leave it as is or get new springs
Old 12-24-2003, 05:51   #5 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

Yes it is illegal, no it isn't unsafe if done properly.
It also does not make the spring softer, it actually makes the spring stiffer.

Do a search here on 'clipping springs' to get a better understanding of how it effects the integrity of a coil spring.

Note, that I don't necessarily condone doing this, but only because of the legalities/liabilities issue.

Something to consider about a cut spring is what have you actually done.
A coil spring is simply a piece of spring rod, wound up into a coil.
Imagine cutting 10% off the length of the steel rod, what happens to the integrity of the rod? Absolutley nothing, it just shortens it, which in turn lowers the leverage.
Same rule applies to the coil, it has been shortened by say 1/2 an active coil, which in turn gives it less leverage, which in turn crates a now stiffer spring.

Cutting springs is illegal because many of the 'butchers' used to heat a coil spring whilst it was still on the car and of course it eventually failed because the coil would be brittle along the heated area.

Simply cutting a piece off the end of the coil will have no such effect on the coil at all.

In fact, if you measure the rod diameter and do a count of active coils of some aftermarket coil springs, you may very well find that they have the same wire thickness and active coils as a standard spring whih has had a coil cut off.

Rick.

Last edited by Soxx; 12-24-2003 at 15:38.
Soxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 15:21   #6 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Personally, I wouldn't. Doing it properly is all very well, but it's not likely the reputable people will touch it, which leaves the dodgy ones
Decent superlow springs+shocks aren't that expensive s/h, I paid $300 for all four on my car - then went back to lows cos the bloody car kept hitting things and eventually bent the rear stabiliser bar - but anyway :)

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 19:04   #7 (permalink)

yeah it can be done,might not be legal or safe(unless you know what your doing)but it can be done,but i wouldnt chance it,the fines,defect,aint worth it.
cars are a lethal weapon,your not invinsible when you get into one,and no matter how much skill you think you have,you are never in control you are always on the edge of death it may not happen today but if you keep driving like you do,you too will end up dead!
hoon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 23:43   #8 (permalink)
oh no! I've gone ford mad

yeah what they said...
Old 12-25-2003, 00:26   #9 (permalink)
R.I.P S/C EBII Fairmont

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I might just deal with the way the car looks and save up for some new springs. It's not worth the danger and hassles that may come with cutting the current springs. :)
j_biafra88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 00:27   #10 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

I'm not going to tell you to do it or not to do it because I was in the same sort of position as you once. All the cars I'd seen looked sik with cut springs but the stories I'd heard about it werent to great. I did it anyway. The car was a Japenese equivelant Maxima. I tell you the minute after I'd cut them I noticed the ride difference. I could feel EVERY peice of gravel on the driveway, my mud flaps (stock ones which were about 30mm below the body actually scraped a bit. On the road it was terrible. I swear this bit of road I travelled often I knew where EVERY crack or bump was on it. After the novolty wore off it actually become quite a drag having to drive. When the dash started getting rattles I thought 'bugger this' and went and actually bought the super low springs. The thing was having the cut spprings had actually blown both my rear shocks out to the point that the whole rear axle assembly would vibrate on and off the road which made even trying to drive in a straight line difficult. So it cost me a set of shocks. Its up to you mate to decide but if you get caught with em There wont be any sympathy.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes