DBA slotted and Bendix Ultimates - bedding in methods - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2004, 04:14   #1 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

DBA slotted and Bendix Ultimates - bedding in methods

Hi guys

I purchased a set of DBA slotted rotors (thanks Heritage) and will Be getting a set of bendix ultimate pads tommorow and fitting them on the weekend. I was wondering what the best mothod of bedding them in was. I've fitted many brake pads before, and found on most occasions by a few hard stops straight after fitment, that I havn't had a problem bedding in. I am sure alot of you have the DBA slotted and bendix Ultimate combination and I was just after a few tips you could give me of bedding in based on your expereinces.

Thanks.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2004, 04:45   #2 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

Re: DBA slotted and Bendix Ultimates - bedding in methods

Thats the way i was recomended to do it years ago, and have done it that way for every set of pads Eamon.
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 04:48   #3 (permalink)

all we do is drive at 20 kph with foot lightly on brake and gas for @ 50 mts just to heat up pads and scuff them alittle. dont need to tromp on peddle, just drag the pads.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:51   #4 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Same here, half a dozen medium to heavy brake applications from 40-60kph without coming to a complete stop should do the job.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 04:56   #5 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

Cebco recomended stops from about 70 down to 10, with about 200-400M between each stop.
If the brakes start to smoke increas the time between stops.
Old 08-24-2004, 05:50   #6 (permalink)
Falcon 2.. Ferrari 0 hehe

Same here, half a dozen medium to heavy brake applications from 40-60kph without coming to a complete stop should do the job.

thats what i done... and they were smokin.... so yeh.... and the discs went BLUE!

XE Fairmont Ghia... Silver/Grey Met over black, soon to be v8, cant wait till i get another v8, after 3 LONG HARD YEARS

http://home.iprimus.com.au/diablo_vt/xeesp.swf
MaD_WoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 20:30   #7 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Well I fitted the brakes today. Also did a full flush of brake fluid. The pedal is still a bit soft, but better than it was before. I didn't gravity bleed I did proper brake bleed so theres no air in the lines. I think it just needs more time to come good. Well what can I say about the brakes. They bedded in, I went for a nice drive and they kept getting beter and better.

It lacks initial bite, but I think tha comes down to the pedal being a little soft. When stomping hard it's almost like a turbo in reverse, where theres not much on when you first brake but all of a sudden it just GRABS the car and says "hey fcuker you aren't going anywhere".

All in all I'm happy with it for $300 and I know that I wont have to replace the front brakes again for probably as long as I plan to keep the car.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 20:50   #8 (permalink)
Bring Back Jeff Kennet

wow sounds good cobra....

how much are dba's new? Was that 300 for the pads and rotors?

Obviously they are much better than stock, but how much? Marginally or very noticeable?

Advertised as $4000ono. Price is negiotable for a quick sale.
FoMoCo4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 02:35   #9 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

As the pads bed in Eamon, the feel should improve.
Old 08-29-2004, 00:38   #10 (permalink)
Death by Ford

Did you decide against Drilled and slotted rotors because of the cracking issue?

Another note about the brake-in of pads. You are only trying to temper the surface of the pad, so the softer and more time in between dabs on the brakes, with less heat the better. It's a bit like heat cycling your brakes, the more times you can heat them up and let them cool down, before punishing them, the longer they will last. The reason you cant come to a complete stop is, you will leave melted pad material on the disc and then it's on for good. A good way to avoid this is to use a low gear long before corners and try and use the handbrake for complete stops(if safety allows). Thats what i do for the first five trips around the block, my block being about 4km though.
CLEVELAND JUNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes