Decent suspension for the EL - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2003, 05:21   #1 (permalink)

Decent suspension for the EL

Hi everyone, couple of questions...

First of all, I want to get the car lowered, not superlow, just low using King springs I suppose, and I may as well change the shocks at the same time. I don't want adjustable shocks particularly, I don't want anything to do with Monroe, or Gabriel, or Pedders. I have heard that KYB's are good, koni have a rep that speaks for itself, and I have heard that bilstein are tops too, but they are quite expensive!

Can anyone tell me where I would get a good deal on shocks, and how much I would pay for the KYB's roughly?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, as I want the car to handle well.

OH and I would be purchasing in either Sydney, or Newcastle, or online if possible...
peter_vod69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2003, 05:30   #2 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

Try Revells steering Fyshwick (Canberra) 02-6280 5610. Tell them John referred you. They do some pretty good deals for our club (just ask VenomXR). They will ship you the bits you want - won't hurt to make a call and get a price!

Personally, I would go Konis - oh, that's right, I did go Konis. I have them on the AU XR6 and they are nearly as good as the coilovers on the AU2 Forte. I used Superlows in both, but I think lows would be better - the ride is a bit harsh in the XR, which I like - but the mrs isn't that fond of it.

AU1 XR8 Auto 147.9 rwkw (approx 215 fwkw)

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto
17s, Pacemakers, 3" Intake & Pod filter (The Family Hack)

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)
JC-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 06:42   #3 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

I've got knois and kings in my ef and they are freaking mad!!!!!
this is what I'd go:
Kings spring, lows.
Konis, yellows but reds will do (some say the reds are better, being oil not gas)
whiteline adjustable swaybars.
and a urothane bush kit....

with that you and a decent set of rubber (even just a good set of 215/60/15 will do) and you'll easily kill an HSV/FPV through the twisties....also if you really want the best rubber and rim set-up I'd go a set of 16inch EF/EL tickford rims with some yokohamma A-032R (235/55/16), they're basically cut slicks and are decribed by traction suspension (the offical yokohamma dealer) as being 10 times better then the top of the line road rubber from yokohamma!!!!

anyhoo with all that and those tyres you would be up the arse of M3s through the twisties, no worries (as long as it's not too bumpy, the old live rear end is too much floated weight, but on a smooth road/track you'd be sweet!!!)....

Dave.
-------------------------------
"Can't sleep, Clown'll eat me, can't sleep, clown'll eat me"
"I am the angel of death, the time of purification is at hand"
fordboy1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 15:48   #4 (permalink)

I wouldn't go near Koni. I did once and regretted it. They don't live up to their reputation and their aftersales service is the worst I have experienced, doing everything possible not to honour warranty claims. Other people on the forums claim to have had similar experiences as well. Bilstien cost a little more, but are a whole order of magnitude better. They can also be rebuilt and rerated easily and quickly.

Edit:
Sydney Shocks in Alexandria are doing two sets of Billies for me now and go to some effort and call regularly to make sure that we are getting exactly what we want. An'd we'll have them back re-rated to our specs and fully reconditioned in under two weeks.
EndEdit.

Of course if money is no object, go Proflex.... :-))
rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 07:03   #5 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

well I've never had a problem, I went through Top Performance in melbourne (a freind of my step-dad's), they're the official importer of Konis.....also the big thing about konis is that they're rebuildable where as most shocks, if not all are throw-away jobs if they fail.....also we use nothing but konis at my step-dad's workshop (we mainly serviced and modifed Jags, Aston Martins, Porsche, Ferrari, BMW, Range Rovers....but mainly the first 3 though) and have had maybe one or 2 warrenty claims and they were more they helpful. the main problem with konis, particular the oils, is if they're not setup properly before installation you may have problems, but don't let that put you off, I did mine myself and have no problems...the main thing I noticed about konis is that they get better the faster you go!!! I was doing about 130 down a back road in the country, the road was a bit choppy but it felt stable as. So i pushed her to over 170 and it didn't feel any less stable.....also we used bilstien a few times but found them to be pretty shiteful....

Dave.
"Can't sleep, Clown'll eat me, can't sleep, clown'll eat me"
"I am the angel of death, the time of purification is at hand"
fordboy1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 19:56   #6 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

I second rally - my experience has been very similar.
Old 05-15-2003, 22:37   #7 (permalink)
Mmm, high pressure wash.

Is your EL an XR? If not then you could also go with the Tickford suspension kit. This consists of 4 shocks, 4 springs and all the other bits like bushes and bump stops to complete the upgrade.

I've got an EL GLi and when I noticed my stock suspension getting really soft I decided to go with the Tickford kit after a chat with a few other FF'ers. It makes the ride quite firmer and also lowers the car about 2 - 4 centimetres.

The kit costs around $700 plus installation.

However, if you do own an XR then just disregard all I've said!
Off-white EL Series II Falcon GLi Sapphire (4.0L Slothmatic™) with K&N Filtercharger, Tickford Sports Suspension, DBA Longlife Gold (front), DBA Longlife Slotted (rear) and Bendix Ultimates all round. Driven by The Slothman™.

Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, or the Ford Forums Food Bandits, where cruising, eating and talking shite is what it's all about. Click here to visit the official (albeit slightly outdated) website!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team GT Media
We love having 3FB Inc guys around!
3Toed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 23:57   #8 (permalink)
17" is for 4cyc

Kyb's will cost around the Pedders $$$, they're ok I'd put them in the Monroe/Gabriel/Pedder pack.

Just for your info Fordboy a company called ProvenProducts is also the official Koni importer for the last 30yrs. Konis are a very good product for a good price he he I don't go for the rebuildable sales pitch as in most cases that costs close enough to a new unit anyway. I used to rebuild them.

Its funny to read other ppl's experiences as all products cannot be made perfect, thats the same major problem with Sales ppl.

Cheers
Old 05-16-2003, 01:28   #9 (permalink)
3FB Educator!

I had Selby low springs and KYB's on my old EB 6cyl and they are fantastic, even now, 4 years after they were first installed.
Now I have an EL2 XR8 and I am currently running Bilstiens in the rear and yellow Koni adjustables up front and they are nowhere near as good as the KYB's! I am putting Bilstiens on in the next few weeks. They are not cheap but I now that they will suit the car better.
B-1B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 02:56   #10 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

Have had Koni adjustables all round and King Superlows, never any dramas, still going as hard (literally!) as the day I put them in. No regrets. Nothing but vastly improved handling competency (and a great low stance)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes