Disable ABS - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2004, 04:28   #1 (permalink)
Sandwich Connoisseur

Disable ABS

I know this sounds stupid, but can you disable ABS on an ED? I was driving home one night and a roo jumped out infront of my pride and joy. I hit the brakes, like it says in the manual how to brake in an emergancy with ABS. It was all good for the first 2 seconds, then the brakes just let go, and the car had little or no brakes, thankfully it was out of the way before then, as I was only doing 50, they're physco out here. Now as soon as I got my Ls, dad taught me to to pull up a car (non abs) without lock up, and I had to prove I could do it consistently before he'd let me drive over 40km/h, so I can stop in pretty much any situation flawlessly. Now this abs gave me one hell of a fright, so I ask how do you take it off, as I honestly feel safer brakeing without it. I like to drive my car, not let the computer do it. Thanks

Donno

I6, 5sp Factory Manual , Wade 1636, Pacemaker PH4480s, HF Cat, Cat-Back 2 1/2" Mandrel Bent Lukey Zorst, Car-puter, XR Front and AUII Clear Side Indicators.

Dull Alloy factory mags, ooo yeah.

Proud TQE Operator
donno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2004, 04:48   #2 (permalink)

Re: Disable ABS

In an ED when ABS activates it feels like the pedal falls away from your foot then repressurises. The key to stopping quick is to keep your foot jammed down as hard as possible the whole time. As silly as it sounds the natural instinct of a person when they feel the pedel fall away is to release there foot a bit which fubars the whole ABS setup for an ED, It took several tries before I could confidently say in an emergancy situation I will now jam down as hard as i can the whole time till i come to a dead stop and just focus on steering.
17" ROH Shadow Chrome RT's, K&N Air Filter, LSD Conversion w/ 3.7 Gears.
Proudest Addition: Socks the Brindle Staffy Girl.
Proud TQE Operator
6pAc|30nG|00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 22:28   #3 (permalink)
Chooka Cooka

yeah i was the same when i first tried mine out, it may not feel as effective as the ABS in later model cars but its still better than locking them up
Fleshgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 22:54   #4 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

I drove an EF for a week, jumped the brake pedal on wet pavers approaching an intersection and almost ened up in full on traffic, i was shitting myself, so I just kept the XF instead seemed to go as hard and actually stopped when I wanted it to.

ABS is friggen stupid, in the dry I could outbrake an EF by a mile in my XF, the wet was a close tie and I would just loose.

P.S. there is a fuse you can pull out, don't know how the car reacts to the fuse missing though :0)

Jason

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 23:35   #5 (permalink)

Well I had a similar situation with my EF and a Fence on wet grass. Was rolling in 1st gear and pushed the fence over (thats how little it was braking). I fulled the ABS fuse out.... no ABS, just good old brakes. I do get an annoying "CHECK ABS" orange light on my dash... over it.

I'm going to hook up a relay to it which will allow me to turn it on and off as I please...

Case.
1995 EF XR6 Manual
Gun Metal Grey with King springs and 2.5 exhaust, riding on EL XR8 rims.
Quicklier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes