Disc Brake Guru's required - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2003, 04:18   #1 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

Disc Brake Guru's required

Ever since I have owned my EA ( around 9 months now ) it has always had a relatively soft brake pedal which, if pumped a few times will become nice and hard. It has always been accompanied by a shudder, if slowing down to a complete stop the car sort of, jerks.

I recently replaced the master cylinder hoping to solve the soft pedal, didnt work.

I also noticed today that after bleeding the system, i started the car and as I started to move I could hear a slight squeal from the front left wheel, sounded like the brake was slightly sticking.

My question is where should I start?

I have booked the car in for a vacuum bleed tomorrow but I may cancel that and replace it with a diagnosis instead, as I dont think it wil solve the problem.

Should I try, removing the rear calipers and bleeding them with the valve upright?

Whats the best way to check if the caliper is sticking?

Will a warped rotor cause a soft pedal? I can see score marks evenly spaced around the right rear rotor, oh and it happens to be the same wheel that the *&khead tyre guy overtightened the wheels nuts!

Any info on where to start, what to look out for, what to do would be great

Thanks

EDIT: I was thinking that perhaps the warped rotor was causing pad knock back, but the thing is it happens when stationary, If I have the engine idling and i ress the pedal it will be soft, Ill pump it up so its firm, then after another 5 or so seconds it will be soft again.

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )

Last edited by SiX_iN_a_RoW; 06-30-2003 at 04:38.
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2003, 06:58   #2 (permalink)
Looking in YOUR bathroom.

Re: Disc Brake Guru's required

sounds like break pressure is escaping somwhere. Get a diagnosis done by pros. Breaks are to important to mess arround with. If you know whats wrong by all means fix it, but weve all hear stories about break failour after attempting to fix them.

Ill take it as a complement i think.............
Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 08:41   #3 (permalink)

wouldn't mind knowing the outcome of this too. My EA has a much softer pedal than the old XF did.

Noticed it somewhat more after replacing the rear pads too!
eskyboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 15:57   #4 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Me too, my pedal isn't as good as my XF, is it just an EA thing the pedal is softish, then you pump it a few times gently, and it feels harder, the car stops no problem, doesnt feel like it wont stop either.

Got the car not long ago, and it passed a roadworthy (victoria) so I guess it would have passed a brake test of some sort.

Dellboy999

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 16:29   #5 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

Well its going in at 3pm this afternoon. Its going to get a vacuum blled and if theres any dramas after that, further inspection will be made.

As for the EA vs XF pedal, before I bought my ea, i drove my dads and his pedal was far firmer than mine, so somehting is definately up

Apparently the rear calipers are prone to trap air in them which is almost impossible to bleed by conventional methods, or with them on the car, due to the fact that the bleed nipples are horizontal as opposed to upright like the front calipers. A Vacuum flush SHOULD rid them of any air ( hopefully )

If the pedal is still soft after the bleed, I will then look at sticking calipers and possibly rebuilding my old master cylinder. Anyway I will let you knowhow it goes this afternoon

Lowered EF Futura
Old 06-30-2003, 16:35   #6 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

My EB2 was shocking when I bought it. I overhauled the front calipers and flushed with fresh Castrol Ultrastop fluid, new pads all round, new discs on the front. It's fantastic now (for what it is).

The key is overhauling the front calipers. The pistons on mine were rotten and the caliper was full of sludge.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 16:41   #7 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

Thanks AP will keep that in mind, I heard somewhere through the rumour mill that new front calipers are around $80 or so?

Lowered EF Futura
Old 06-30-2003, 16:42   #8 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

oh I forgot to ask in my original post, would a mis-adjusted handbrake cause a low pedal like back in the old brake shoe days?

Lowered EF Futura
Old 06-30-2003, 17:55   #9 (permalink)
****in Flat Out Racing

I had a similar problem with my EF, but without the shuddering.

Firstly, if your brakes are shuddering, you either need to get your discs machined or replaced if they are too far gone. Also make sure your front whell bearing are adjusted properly, and that there is no excessive play.

As for the soft pedal feel, my EF did that since new. On first and second application, they were soft, but then got harder as I used it more. Got the whole system bled and it has been perfect ever since. I reackon I had some air in the system.
FFOracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 19:08   #10 (permalink)
Still Dazed and Confused

You may have to bleed the system 2 or 3 times to get all the air out. This is usual.

If there's commotion coming from the passenger seat, and nothing but earth going round and round outside the windows,.......then everything is not as it seems!

The only time you have too much fuel, is when you're on fire!
rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes