disc brakes conversion on my nine inch - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2007, 06:54   #1 (permalink)

disc brakes conversion on my nine inch

Hi everyone, I have gone from a borgie in my offroader to a nine inch with 4:11 gears and a spool. I bought the diff (XA length, 28 spline) minus the discs, brackets and calipers thinking that I could bolt up a set of XF calipers, brackets and nice ventilated discs, but I have had no luck. The brackets bolt up nice and the discs fit onto the axles, but the calipers won't line up over the discs. There is too much of an offset, I tried EA discs as well. No good. Has anyone done this and does anyone know a combo that works? My next option is to weld a bracket to the housing that is made to fit an EA front caliper and housing because I have no use for a handbrake anyway. Anyone???
dirt_ute_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2007, 06:07   #2 (permalink)

Re: disc brakes conversion on my nine inch

Ended up welding on some home made brackets that will allow EL calipers to fit up and used my EA discs. Got sick of stalking the wreckers. As a tip, fit the rotors on, fit the calipers to the rotors, plumb them in and bleed them up, then hold the pedal down so the calipers clamp onto the discs. Then you can bolt the brackets up before welding them in, knowing that they are in the right spot. Use new pads so they are clamped onto the disc evenly. Works well!!
Cheers!!
dirt_ute_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 05:45   #3 (permalink)
Death by Ford

Re: disc brakes conversion on my nine inch

Im getting a 9" soon that has been converted. It was originally a drum brake rear that has been converted using late model discs and calipers. From what i can gather there was no modifications made other than bolting stuff on. I will post how it was done when i get the diff and have a good look at it. I believe you only need to use a spacer between the disc and the axle.
CLEVELAND JUNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes