Disc Brakes on XT Falcon - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2004, 23:02   #1 (permalink)

Disc Brakes on XT Falcon

Im current running 4 wheel drum brakes on the wagon which are doing the job fine but ive got a disc brake setup just sitting there so I thought i'd throw it on, one thing i was looking at was going to the ventilated discs and calipers to suit off the later models, I believe XT stub axles are diferent to XY on, is this correct and if so what stub axles suit, as xd etc are easier to come across but need to know itf they will suit.

Cheers
Matty
FordMatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2004, 16:25   #2 (permalink)

Re: Disc Brakes on XT Falcon

Bearings ! wheel bearings that is. Around XY or w there was a wheel bearing change as Ford went for a larger diameter spindle, this bearing remained constant until the end of the E series, so E series rotors will fit provided A/ you match the beariings B/ you match the seals C/ the ofset is the same (or accounted for). Your next hassle is making adaptor brackets for the calipers. The Master Cylinder must be looked at as well, does it have a residual line pressure vale in it? if so it needs to be removed or rendered inoperative. Finally front/rear BALANCE MUST be looked at especially when converting from drums. Of course theres the other things that nobody remembers to tell you. The park brake needs to be addressed if going from drums to disks on the back as would hose & pipe routing.
Happy modifying,
SRV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 00:51   #3 (permalink)
Trust meeeee, It's Stock

Hi,
I am looking into this as well for my XP Coupe. I am finding it hard to find anyone that has experence in the early falcons. "Hooper Stoppers" in Hoppers Crossing VIC are ment to be good but miles away from where I live.
I also want to fix the steering maybe install a rack, yet again strugling to find any one that does the work.

I found these site, they maybe of some help.

http://www.joesfalcon.com/

http://xpfalcon.kicks-ass.net/

www.XSeriesFordClub.com
XpCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 10:54   #4 (permalink)

This brings back memories as my first car was an XT fairmont wagon.

Ford had an option in this series of solid discs at the from which were a two piston design, changing pads on these was a breeze. All you had to do was to pull out two circlips and the two sliding pins and out they came.

Never did like that setup, so we pulled the brakes of a ZG Fairlane and put these on. This conversion involved the entire stub axle assembly and caplipers, ball joints may have to be changed as well. Sorry I cant remeber this detail as it 14 yrs since I performed this. Rims will have to be changed as the bearing carrier is a larger diameter than the one on the XT series, making fitment of the original rims impossible.

A better solution may be to investigate whether the stub axles from an XF fit and match, if they do then this would be my choice.

Any other questions please let me know.

Robert
robertjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 07:38   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordMatty
Im current running 4 wheel drum brakes on the wagon which are doing the job fine but ive got a disc brake setup just sitting there so I thought i'd throw it on, one thing i was looking at was going to the ventilated discs and calipers to suit off the later models, I believe XT stub axles are diferent to XY on, is this correct and if so what stub axles suit, as xd etc are easier to come across but need to know itf they will suit.
Use the following:

XF Stub Axles
XF Calipers (mmmmm Alloy...)
XF Wheel Bearings
XF Seals
XW/XY Disks (Allows you to use small spigot wheels - use XF disks if this is not an issue)

You need to use the correct oil slinger thingy for whichever disks you use - it is bolted on using the 3 bolts that hold the backing plate on.
XY disks have a smaller one than the XF disks - they bolt on just the same - they only fit one way, if the holes don't line up turn them till they do.

New flexible hoses are cheap insurance - XF ones fit.
ZC-Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 22:32   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffzc
Use the following:

XF Stub Axles
XF Calipers (mmmmm Alloy...)
XF Wheel Bearings
XF Seals
XW/XY Disks (Allows you to use small spigot wheels - use XF disks if this is not an issue)
Not quite. XF, as do XD/E, stubs have a bigger taper for the tierod end, so they won't fit your XT tierod ends. The combo for an XT is:

XA/XB spindle (bigger bearing)
XW/XB rotors (pre 10/75 - big bearing/small wheel centre)
XA/XB wheel bearings (suit the above rotors)
XF calipers
XA/XF seals
XA/XF backing plate flange
XT/ZB disc/drum master cylinder ONLY!
XT/ZB booster (unless you've legs like tree trunks)
fairlanebyford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 23:47   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlanebyford
Not quite. XF, as do XD/E, stubs have a bigger taper for the tierod end, so they won't fit your XT tierod ends.
Can we use an XF tierod end with the early model steering??
ZC-Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 03:07   #8 (permalink)
Boost Is for Pussies

Hmmm. I want to go the other way.... a set of the drum braked uprights will make life much easier for adapting biig racing calipers to the front... and the 4 bolt pattern of the Drum braked spindles for mounting the drum backing plate lets me move the calipers to the front of the upright.... (Looks like the steering arm gets in the way on the disc spindles)...
What are the Beefiest drum braked front spindles?
Ben
GammaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes