EA Front Suspension - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2001, 23:59   #1 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

EA Front Suspension

Heya all, I have an EA Fairmont Ghia who's front suspension is getting to annoy me, the car has done fairly high km's, 365,000,
and is noisy up front, it clunks a fair bit but the most annoying part is a constant squeaking, mostly from the right. I've been over everything and can't find any play or worn parts, it passes WOF's fine. Any ideas on what parts lead to this or common faults with the front?
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2001, 03:02   #2 (permalink)
Chromed Member

cool

if it squeaks when sitting on the ground and you bounce on the front end, maybe dry swaybar rubbers. Grab the jack, undo the two bolts holding each swaybar bush on, remove bush and regrease in the centre part of the bush only. ie.do not put grease on the outside of the bush. Even though things look ok - they still might make noise:rcool:
botch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2001, 07:49   #3 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Can also be the rubber bush at the top of the shock; fixed by reassembling with rubber grease.
Old 11-01-2001, 05:07   #4 (permalink)
Chromed Member

yeah, good one aussiblu, you can also test for noisy bush on top of shock by having someone bounce the car and spray bush with CRC or equivalent, this is only a temporary fix but at least youll know were the problem is once the noise goes. Also do this the the upper inner control arms. sometimes you have to loosen them off, spray and lube with grease, then retension!
botch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 21:29   #5 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

Ta for the replies people, I think I have tracked it down to the control arm bushes, the high km's are starting to catch up with the car, those bushes and also the lower shock mount ones look pretty dodgy.
Old 11-09-2001, 06:29   #6 (permalink)
Australian ED Fairmont Member

EA Front Suspension

Try tightening the lower control arm pivot bolt. This bolt wears and becomes loose on high mileage vehicles causing a knock from the front end. tightening this bolt is only a temporary fix because the bolt used is a very loose fit , the permanent fix is to fit an oversized bolt available from any aircraft parts supplier. The part number to ask for is AN9-33 (bolt) and get a self-locking nut and washers to suit.
lsd0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 21:46   #7 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

It'll need to be AN9-33A bolt to be used properly with a self locking nut - a bolt with just the straight dash number will have a split pin hole (for castellated nut) - for a bolt with no hole the number needs 'A' on the end.
EDFUTURA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 21:53   #8 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EDFUTURA
It'll need to be AN9-33A bolt to be used properly with a self locking nut - a bolt with just the straight dash number will have a split pin hole (for castellated nut) - for a bolt with no hole the number needs 'A' on the end.
I am regularly amazed by the extraordinary range and depth of knowledge on this forum. It's like having the world's best mechanic at your fingertips. Which is a lot, lot more than most people manage by going to the average garage.
EA S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 22:31   #9 (permalink)

My EB has started squeaking lately, I'll try and check all these rubbers on the weekend. Every bloody Ford I've ever owned has had squeaky front suspension!

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 00:17   #10 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

:) Thanks for all the replies people, found the bugger, as I think it was AussieBlue said, it was the top shock mount, disassembled it and re-greased it and it's like new, now to get rid of the clunking :)
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes