EA Ghia self leveling susspension - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2003, 16:36   #1 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Question EA Ghia self leveling susspension

I have an 88 Ghia with self leveling suspension, overnight, or even over a few hours the air leaks out and the back sits low, (looks good), but the front is to high so it looks odd.

My question is, is it supposed to leak out, is this normal, or should I trace and pull apart and re-seal all the joints in the air system.

Once it is up to normal height, it does stay there, and the pump hardly runs that I have heard.

Dellboy999

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2003, 17:05   #2 (permalink)

get rid of it, it can be done, just do the search. From my personal experience years ago the got replaced every service under warrenty coz they were crud, IMHO this was the dimise of fords lifetime parts warrenty.
17" ROH Shadow Chrome RT's, K&N Air Filter, LSD Conversion w/ 3.7 Gears.
Proudest Addition: Socks the Brindle Staffy Girl.
Proud TQE Operator
6pAc|30nG|00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 04:32   #3 (permalink)
Green's Tuff!

There's a kit you can get that will allow you to fit normal and therefore cheaper shockers in it.

Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 04:47   #4 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Not that I particulary want to get rid of the self leveling suspension, but how much do kits cost, and how much are shocks to replace whats there if I need to.

Does anyone have any idea.

Dellboy999

Old 05-26-2003, 05:21   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Dellboy,

Most people have replaced, as 6pac said, the original self levelling system with conventional springs and shocks. It is probably best to do this than spend many dollars on replacing/repairing the original system.

I have some spare standard height King Springs in my garage which came out of an EA Ghia that had it's SLS removed. If you need them, give us a yell and we can work something out

Cheers,

Sundeep
P.S You have a PM regarding another matter
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 05:28   #6 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Well thanks for the info guys, but I will work on it myself, and keep it for the moment, might add a one valve into the system, to make the air hold in the system longer.

Or I do have a valve for air shocks I could remove the pump and use that.

We will see.

Dellboy999

Old 05-26-2003, 06:02   #7 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

I like my SLS and although I had to replace the rear shocks once only on both Fairlanes it been very reliable and great for towing. The shocks are standard Monroe air adjustable so they are not particularly expensive to replace. The system has a self check diagnostic feature. Flick the internal light door switch on the A pillar driver's side 3 times in one second with ignition on and count the number of times the "check suspension" light flashes. Post results here to know what it means. It will take about a minute to go through the self test during which it will pump up then lower the suspension.

Sounds like you have a slow leak. Most often the right rear shock fails 1st at the bellows in the middle of the shockies as a result of the rear muffler failing just before the rear wheel and hot air blowing onto it (fix is to put a 2mm drain hole in the lowest point of that muffler so the condenstion drains out each day instead of rusting the muffler away). Spray rubber bellows on shockies with strong water/dishwashing detergent mix and watch for bubbles.

You might also find a leak in the T piece in the nylon air line under the rear seat or on at the top of the shocks where the line goes in; again spray with a strong dishwashhing detergent mix and watch for bubbles when it goes through the self test mode.
Old 05-26-2003, 18:32   #8 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Blue,

I tried to the dignostic test you said, but nothing happened, I put the Ignition on position 1 and flicked the light door switch 3 times like you said and nothing, I then put the Ignition to position 2 (all the lights on the dash come up and the suspension pumped up), tried the switch again nothing, even started the car and tried and nothing, the light in the dash does work, and seems to glow in brightness depending how low the rear has sunk, in the morning it is bright, and just now it glowed just a little bit.

So what did I do wrong.

I can test for air leaks by spraying the solution then dump something heavy in the boot :0).

Dellboy999

Old 05-27-2003, 05:24   #9 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

You must be SITTING in the driver's seat with the driver's door OPEN. With the ignition on operate the courtesy lamp by either press the door pillar switch 3 times in one second or operating the dash mounted courtesy light switch 3 times in one second. Works for me; did your interior lights go on and off? Is the check supsension light on all the time; it shouldn't be. Did you wait the minute or so it takes to pump up and lower the suspension?
Old 05-27-2003, 05:36   #10 (permalink)
Village Idiot

My sls hold air/ doesnt leak, but it doesnt work. nIs it just the pump or something? How do i find the prob?
I played with it today at the servo- lowered and raised it with the air compressor, so it sill moves.

Jase
2nd EF GLi, 'custom' interior, extractors, exhuast
3rd EA Fairmont 5spd, low'd, extractors, exhuast, head
work, 3.45LSD, EL dash, interior+ El ECU
4th EB2 Fairmont, EL dash and interior, BBM, LSD etc etc
5th EB Fairmont Ghia 5L. All leather, lowered, exhaust etc
EFJase is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes